Author Topic: Have to reinstall after system restore  (Read 5357 times)

jerryd

Have to reinstall after system restore
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:07 AM »
Avast forum,
 I have Avast Internet Security 5.0.462 on 2 laptops.
 This is supposed to be a World Class Antivirus program
 but every time I have to do a restore Avast will not run
 and clicking on the "FIX NOW" button does nothing.  I have
 to uninstall and reinstall it again.

Previously I used Trend Micro Antivitus and never had this
 kind of problem.  I switched to Avast because it was faster
 and more user friendly.

It's not like I use the "free" version and have to take
 what I get,  I pay for this.
 I have read on this forum where other users have the same
 experience but I've not read about a possible fix.

Any comment Avast?
Jerryd

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Have to reinstall after system restore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
which os is running on ur machines?
have u completely uninstalled the old av?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
The best things in life are free.

buttoni

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:40:33 AM »
System retore messed up my Avast5 Antivirus, too.....twice in the same week.  The restores worked OK, but Avast crashes everytime I do one.  I jsut can't live without System Restore, so I've had to regretfully uninstall Avast5 until this bug is fixed.  Reverting to MSE and will keep checking back to see if this if fixed, Tech.  I want my Avast back, but can't accept having to jump through 50 hoops every time I do a restore.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:09:36 AM »
System retore messed up my Avast5 Antivirus, too.....twice in the same week.  The restores worked OK, but Avast crashes everytime I do one.  I jsut can't live without System Restore, so I've had to regretfully uninstall Avast5 until this bug is fixed.  Reverting to MSE and will keep checking back to see if this if fixed, Tech.  I want my Avast back, but can't accept having to jump through 50 hoops every time I do a restore.

Yes this must be fixed. Though I almost never use system restore its part of windows and its nice knowing you have another option.
My previous experience with system restore are mixed. Seems like when you really need it it fails to restore. BTW why would you need to use system restore so often? I use TrueImage to image my boot drive often. I also make images before testing new software etc.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

buttoni

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:18:22 AM »
I don't use System Restore that often.  Have only used it twice, actually on this new Win7 box. The first time was JUST to see if it worked properly on this new Win7 OS.  But something during this week (and have no earthly idea what, but this thread gives more details:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57267.msg484553#msg484553) messed up my camera software/drivers and reinstalling from the software disk did nothing to correct.  I'm not sure the bizarre behavior I experienced earlier in the week with Avast5 wasn't somehow connected to my sudden camera issues, as that's the only unusual thing that has happened lately.  So I thought I'd try System Restore, since I knew I had successfully used my camera in the last week.  After the System Restore, my camera was again recognized by Win7.  

jerryd

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:48:07 AM »
Avast forum,
 As I said I have Avast on 2 laptops and have had this problem
 on both.  One is a Dell D400 running Windows XP Home Edtion
 Version 2002, SP3.  It has 1GB of Ram and a 160 GB hard drive.

The other one is a Dell XPS M1330 running Vista Home Premium
 SP1 64 bit.  It has 4GB of ram and a 300GB hard drive.

Thanks for the replies,
 jerryd

jerryd

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:07:33 AM »
Asyn,
 Sorry I forgot to answer your question about uninstalling.
 I did a complete uninstall and re-install.  I used my original
 license file.

jerryd

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:03:22 AM »
as tech stated in another thread (see link above) it helped him 2 disable the self-defense module b4 using system restore. try this till the problem gets finally fixed by avast.

@tech: hope u don't have to wait tooo long 4 an answer...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
It's not enough to just disable the self-defense module before restoring. The restore point itself must also be from a time when the self-defense module was deactivated. That's the only way I manage to get it to work on my system. Meaning...yeah ;D ... regular restore points with self-defense module off ;) OK this is no solution and should only be considered a temporary, very temporary fix hopefully, until a next build comes out ::) ... at least it seems that restoring without deactivating the sd module doesn't lead to a failed operation anymore, but just to an Avast inconsistent state and a mandatory reinstall :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:36:33 AM by Logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
strange it also concerns his xp system... ???
i've never experienced any problems with xp installations.