Author Topic: Avast encrypting my wlan without asking?  (Read 2303 times)

Tumetsu

Avast encrypting my wlan without asking?
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I have a very frustrating problem with Avast!5.After installing the software I noticed it has changed my wlan settings. Before I had unencrypted wlan since I live middle of nowhere where noone could get access to my web connection without practically camping on my yard and some of my devices won't work properly with encrypted wlan (my mobile phone and laptop). So basically this feature has rendered my laptop's and phone's online functions useless, and it's very annoying.

I tried to reset my wlan router's settings with it's driver disk and it worked some time. However, soon I found out that avast had again changed my network settings and set to a password as "avast(<- the reason I think it's avast's fault). Now I understand the protection value of this feature but for me it's just harm so is there anyway to switch off this feature? I have looked through help and googled with no results. Or should I just get rid of the whole program all together?

Thanks.

Hermite15

Re: Avast encrypting my wlan without asking?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
Hi,

that's a weird issue. Avast does change network settings. The firewall in AIS does, to some extend, but I believe you're using the free version, so... and there's no such thing like the implementation of a password...
 Which version of Avast do you have exactly, and where did you download it from?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:10 PM »
How can avast sett a password in your wlan router ?
Are you sure it is not your next door neighbour playing with you ?

I live middle of nowhere where noone could get access to my web connection without practically camping on my yard
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:30:43 PM by Pondus »

Tumetsu

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
@logos
I use the newest avast free edition and I downloaded it from avast's website. I will check that again later. I have Windows xp home.

@pondus
well, don't ask me how but all of suddenly after installing avast my wlan is named randomly and has password 'avast' so I guess it's good assumption to think it was avast's doing. My router is Buffalo whr-g125.

I will recheck tomorrow where I downloaded avast, though I'm pretty sure it was official site. I'm now online with my phone as I fixed the router settings again to see if they will revert again and check when it actually happens.