Author Topic: cannot open websites- including AVAST!  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: cannot open websites- including AVAST!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »
Okay. I hope we get that straightened out for you.

HijackThis: http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThis.exe

Download and save to C:\Hijack (preferably create that folder prior to download)

Run it.

Click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile".

Post logfile here.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

bobo1

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »
1.Try Crapcleaner and do reg scan and clean scan to remove all remains of AVG,
2.Or edit the registry, Search using F3, type AVG and del all the keys ref to AVG and try avast again.
3 Run Malware bytes free anti spyware (mbam) & check for spywares or use spybot search & destroy.
4 if all this fails try repair of windows try and go to your earliest restore point & reboot or try and repair windows with the XP CD rom. If that fails re-format & install windows easy way to cure this depending what files you have on the hard drive, save all your important data before formatting!.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:06:25 AM by bobo1 »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:19 AM »
I would not recommend a restore... lot of troubles with avast and restoring the system.  8)
This is an issue that must be fixed soon.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
also look if there's a LMHOSTS file on your machine (other than lmhosts.sam) if lmhosts is activated in the network tcp/ip preferences (under WINS)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bascrapr

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
I am unable to download anything, including the hijack software.  Yesterday, for some reason I was able to download long enuf to get Spybot.  Ran that, found problems- deleted them, still nothing.  I do not have any "LMHosts" present.  I tried to uninstall Avast, but that failed- couldn't uninstall.  I am not computer literate enough to know how to reformat or restore.  I guess I'll have to get Computer Geeks or something unless anyone else has an idea.