Author Topic: Outlook Express?  (Read 2836 times)

Spamlet

Outlook Express?
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:56 PM »
After a lot of fiddling trying to get the user interface of the new avast working at all (see earlier post), I now find that the system tray icon does not rotate unless Outlook is turned on.  If one tries to turn on mail scanning with Outlook Express as the email prog, the option to turn on mail scanning remains unresponsive in the user interface and makes the system tray icon show an exclamation mark and fail to rotate.  This was not the case with the earlier version.

Can this one be made to work with OE?

S

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Outlook Express?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
Your topic subject says Outlook Express, but you go on to mention Outlook (which is different), however, if you mean OE, then the icon should rotate when scanning email. So if it isn't rotating it isn't scanning anything.

What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 (5.0 at a guess) ?

I use OE and it rotates when scanning email, you shouldn't have to start the Mail Shield it should work automatically with OE, so there appears to be something wrong with your installation.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual virus definitions version.

It is a bit pointless referring to a previous post, this if related should be in that topic as people aren't likely to flip flop between topics to gather information, it makes it harder to keep track.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spamlet

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »
Thanks David,

My earlier thread is only a few down , and details how I have had a right pain trying to get an installation in which the user interface worked at all.  Now I have at last succeded in getting it to install and have an interface, so that I could register I am reluctant to begin the whole process all over yet again.  I have tried the repair install, but as with the earlier problem, this achieves nothing.

As I said, I mostly use OE, which gives me the exclamation mark on the system tray icon: but as a test, I turned on Outlook, and the icon started rotating in the normal way.  This is the latest version of Avast with the latest set up file from Vik's post above, and the option to turn on mail scanning does not respond to its on button nor the fix it button.  And even as administrator, I cannot get full permission to stick on the avast folders.

S

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 01:21:23 AM »
That is why you should stick in the original topic as all the information is already there, including all the questions asked as I'm effectively just asking the same questions of suggesting the same things.

It just confuses the problem, even if it is only a few down, the lists are in chronological order so what might have been a few down is unlikely to stay that way. So anyone seeking to help you will have to go hunting to retrieve information.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spamlet

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »
On the contrary, my original topic referred to a specific error message about an incorrect installation.  Therefore to change the subject to a malfunction with Outlook Express compatability requires a new thread - or certainly would do in the numerous other fora in which I have participated.

And I see no answer to my question in that other thread anyway.

S

Spamlet

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:12:38 AM »
Now working.

After numerous attempts at starting the service in pc managment, and just getting 'access denied', I hit the 'start the service' link one more time, and it did start.  I have no idea why, but it is nice to have functionality at last!

Cheers to all who offerred advice.

S