Author Topic: Are these okay to delete? (Regarding temporary file folders)  (Read 2788 times)

Cat38

Are these okay to delete? (Regarding temporary file folders)
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »
I'd like to delete some stuff off my computer and know that Temporary files are one of the things that can be deleted, however, I'm afraid that if I do delete something it will mess up my computer. So to be on the safe side I've come here for help since searching elsewhere online hasn't exactly given me the answer I'm looking for.

First of all, exactly how many Temp folders ARE there in Windows? I know of two... one in the Local Settings folder and one in the WINDOWS folder. Are those the only two? And second, are all files located in these Temp folders absolutely okay to delete?

Most of the files located in the Local Settings folder end in .tmp, with two or three ending with MTX, and several empty folders like plugtmp.

In the WINDOWS folder (not in the Temp) I noticed quite a few DUMP.tmp files and about five tmps that look like this, 004620_.tmp. In the Temp folder itself there are several Perflib data files and a hundreds of sqlite files, plus empty folders and some text documents.

Just want to be sure what is okay to delete and what is not.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Are these okay to delete? (Regarding temporary file folders)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
You may download CCleaner to have selection of files safe for deletion automated.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Are these okay to delete? (Regarding temporary file folders)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
+1
it only deletes files from temp folders older than x days (u can adjust this/the default is quite ok).
there4 u don't have 2 worry if anything 'important' is deleted (as manually could happen).
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0