Author Topic: About Home Edition  (Read 19659 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:About Home Edition
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 03:59:24 PM »
We're lazy and stupid... Now we don't understand this you posted before:

The reverting-to-the-original-version thing you're seeing is a consequence of the fact that deftasks.xml is normal part of avast installation and therefore the avast auto-repair feature always replaces it to the original version. However, this is not a problem as the "import" procedure from the modified version is already done at that moment.

Please, help me on my thought:

1. avast loads
2. the user changes some settings
3. the user runs the repair function and deftasks.xml is 'restored' to original state
4. boot
5. What happens with the configuration?
    Between which step the configuration of number 2 was saved?

If I understand correctly, among the configuration stored in deftasks.xml are the archive file types to be scanned 'on-access', aren't they?
On-demmand you can check 'all' archive files to scanned...
How to do it on-access?

See Igor's post:

For the on-access scanner, you are right.
In the on-demand scanner, you can enable all supported packers by the checkbox "Scan archive files".

Can you teach me?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 04:00:07 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

shgoh

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 04:35:59 AM »
sorry vlk...it's kind of misleading...but then now we all understand the the configurations in deftask.xml is passed on somewhere upon reboot :)

but like what technical just mentioned above...it seems a little contradicting? :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 02:08:58 PM »
In short, on-access is avast Home protected by default into all packers available? It seems not... You should change any configuration to achieve that but, after boot, things come back to default, ie, non protected.

Sorry if I'm mixing and messing things...
I just want to understand  8)

shgoh

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 10:53:14 AM »
technical...from what i understand from igor and vlk...we definitely need to add those lines into deftask.xml in order to scan archives for on-access (home edition only)

but then after you edited the deftask.xml...because it's part of avast installation...it gets back to its original..

the trick here is that before it gets back to its original state...the configurations from deftask.xml are passed onto some configuration storage...which is avast4.mdb in case of Database=ODBC and avast4.xml in case of Database=XML.

therefore...according to vlk...no settings is lost!!! ;D

so i assumed that only changes made to deftask.xml are transfered to the configuration storage...hence subsequent reboots does not cause the settings to be lost..

but then...just my curiosity...how do we revert those settings in the configuration storage? 8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:49:06 PM by shgoh »

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 10:45:41 PM »
For the on-access scanner, you are right.

We, shgoh and I, tried a lot to 'solve' this issue... I mean, the deftasks.xml could do it right? But, it is reloaded after boot and all the customization is lost...  :(

Isn't it saved in the database?  I have enabled all packers and stuff on my home edition. And even though it's reset in the file they still are active in the Access database...  I followed this info:

If on-access, yes, avast by default doesn't look for viruses in packed files. However, it can be enabled. Look at the "deftasks.xml" file in the avast folder - all you need to do to enable scanning of archives on-access is to add the line

<STANDARD--ScanPackers>EXE;ZIP;MIME;RAR;ARJ;TAR;GZ;CAB;ARC;ACE;ZOO;BZIP2;WinExec</STANDARD--ScanPackers>

after the line

<STANDARD--InvalidEntry>1</STANDARD--InvalidEntry>

When you have saved the changed "deftasks.xml" file, reboot the system to make the change permanent
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 08:34:41 PM »
When you have saved the changed "deftasks.xml" file, reboot the system to make the change permanent

Well, I did it... Maybe I have to stop all avast itens (program and services) before shutting down.
I did but the changes were lost on next boot  :'(

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 08:37:14 PM »
Have you checked the avast.mdb database. It's no harm opening it. It's a normal Access database. And you will find the entries from the "deftask.xml" file easily. You can even add thing directly in the database (at your own risk :-)
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2004, 08:39:09 PM »
Have you checked the avast.mdb database. It's no harm opening it. It's a normal Access database. And you will find the entries from the "deftask.xml" file easily. You can even add thing directly in the database (at your own risk :-)

But will it be saved after boot?

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2004, 08:43:28 PM »
Mine is anyway...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2004, 08:44:48 PM »
Mine is anyway...

You're lucky...  :(
I'll try again  :-[

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »
Why we cannot choose the files directly from the AV instead of edit a file?

In AntiVir I can choose all the settings that I want...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 09:21:16 PM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »
Because changing of these options simple isn't supported by the (somehow restricted) Home edition - by design. As you can see, it's possible to "hack" the program such that you actually change these options even in the Home version, but you shouldn't complain that it's not very comfortable :)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 09:37:38 PM »
Because changing of these options simple isn't supported by the (somehow restricted) Home edition - by design. As you can see, it's possible to "hack" the program such that you actually change these options even in the Home version, but you shouldn't complain that it's not very comfortable :)

OK...  :(

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 12:20:40 AM »
Why we cannot choose the files directly from the AV instead of edit a file?

In AntiVir I can choose all the settings that I want...

And how much did you have to pay for it? And how many viruses did it leave behind? I own Norton, Panda and AVG7. I use Avast! It's kept me safe and found quite a few viruses they others didn't.
Please believe me you'll never be sorry with the choice you made. If you want more control and more choises, you could alway purchase the Pro version.
Welcome to the forums. By the way, these helpful forums didn't exist with the other software either.
Have a nice day and again, welcome. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 12:33:19 AM »
I'm refering to the freeware version of AntiVir!

I like to have a program with a very good configuration...