Author Topic: eMail-Proxy on SSL accounts not working properly with v5.0.462  (Read 7020 times)

MHJ

Hello,

I am using the free version of avast! v5.0.462 and everything but the eMail-Shield is working fine.
What happens is, that for the majority of times my emails are not retrieved from my ssl account @ yahoo through Thunderbird.
i attached 2 screenshots with the settings i made so you can verify that i did everything correct.
unfortunatly i don't get any error-messages at all when the emails are not retrieved from the account.
there's not even a message saying that the connection timed out or something.

i am using the following:

- Windows 7 Enterprise x86 German Build 7600 (Final)
- Mozilla Thunderbird v3.0.4 English (Final)

so my best guess is that there's still some kind of bug/problem with the eMail-Shield on SSL-accounts.
on my none-ssl accounts the emails get always retrieved without problems.

any help would be appreciated!
i am willing to do some test's in case u need me to.
i consider myself an advanced windows-user so if you come up with some special tweaks or whatever don't hesitate
to write in "geek-language" :P

thanks

Update: When i change my POP3-Server in Thunderbird to pop.mail.yahoo.com it seems to work without problems. could this be related to the fact that the eMail-Shield has no entry with yahoo.de for the ssl-accounts? i did a test by adding yahoo.de with POP3 and port 995 SSL manually and setting the incoming pop3 server to pop.mail.yahoo.de in Thunderbird again, but it didn't help. no emails were retrieved, no errors etc. showed up.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: eMail-Proxy on SSL accounts not working properly with v5.0.462
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »
Missing the TB SMTP settings... Can you give a screenshot.
Mailshield works fine normally.

EDIT:
If it works with yahoo.com... just leave it that way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:25:20 AM by Zyndstoff »
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

MHJ

SMTP-Screenshot
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »
hi Zyndstoff

i added the smtp-settings screenshot.

to answer your reply: sure, i can just leave it at yahoo.com and it works for me, but i still consider this a problem that should be sorted out, as there are most likely hundreds if not thousands of email-providers that use multiple domains, and if avast! is only working with 1 basic domain for email-traffic, how would a user with no experience on how to get proper settings for his/her email-client be able to ever solve this?

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 11:39:19 AM »
But you can send mail, even though the server is set to .de in TB?
Free MBAM Clear

MHJ

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »
But you can send mail, even though the server is set to .de in TB?

yes that worked 1 time, but i actually didn't try more times as i barely send emails. now that i changed my settings to .com it works as mentioned, but if you need me to do some more testing using .de with sending, i can do that, but how could this help after what we know by now? i mean that retrieving is still barely working with .de settings, so having no problems with sending wouldn't really help :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:48:02 AM by MHJ »

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
No, it won't help.
Just leave it set to .com.

I agree, it's not great, but if other users encounter this problem, they will come here... though you are the first with this specific problem, and there are many users with yahoo out there.

Your email-adress is XXX@yahoo.de or XXX@yahoo.com?
Free MBAM Clear

MHJ

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Your email-adress is XXX@yahoo.de or XXX@yahoo.com?

it's xxx@yahoo.de

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
I will try to reproduce the problem on my pc.
Thx for your info,

have a nice easter time.
Free MBAM Clear

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:56 PM »
just a question, probably not related to your issue here: are you using Seven "Enterprise" trial or is it the actual final version, acquired through volume licensing? I've used the trial version of Enterprise back in September last year (I know it holds the "7600 final" label), and it's just really bugged, even the RC of Seven worked better. If you're using the actual commercial version of Enterprise (and not the trial), ignore this post ;)

MHJ

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »
have a nice easter time.

you too and thanks for your replies and effort to reproduce the problem.
i am just trying to improve avast! as i think it's the best av out there.

MHJ

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:08 PM »
just a question, probably not related to your issue here: are you using Seven "Enterprise" trial or is it the actual final version, acquired through volume licensing?

it's not the trial, it's the commercial version.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »
OK another question: avoid linking your profile to a web site (your website) providing links to pirated software, see screen shot:
example: hxxp://www.gamecopyworld.com/ ( from hxxp://tisp.6x.to/ )

It's not enough to tell people that you're not responsible for the content of the pages linked on your site. You put the links there ::)

edit: oh, your web site is suddenly down ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:26:46 PM by Logos »

MHJ

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
OK another question: avoid linking your profile to a web site (your website) providing links to pirated software

well i edited my profile, but i can't see an issue putting a link to the website you mentioned, as there is no pirated software there. that's simply due to the fact that you need to own the full product to use those files hosted there, without it, the material on that website is useless. but ok, that's an other matter :P

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
OK another question: avoid linking your profile to a web site (your website) providing links to pirated software

well i edited my profile, but i can't see an issue putting a link to the website you mentioned, as there is no pirated software there. that's simply due to the fact that you need to own the full product to use those files hosted there, without it, the material on that website is useless. but ok, that's an other matter :P

;D you're linking to pirated and stolen software, period... the arguments you're using have been used for ages by all those fearing law enforcement when spreading illegal software material. Regular software customers don't need your files you know that ???  :D

MHJ

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »
;D you're linking to pirated and stolen software, period... the arguments you're using have been used for ages by all those fearing law enforcement when spreading illegal software material. Regular software customers don't need your files you know that ???  :D

ok so you are saying that pointing a link to a website that hosts questionable files is illegal? maybe in your country, not in mine. besides, this website does also contain trainers and cheats for games, that are in no way illegal and are also requiered for people who own an original product. i guess in your point of argument, we should also avoid links to websites like µTorrent, because this program can help you get (aka download) copyrighted materials from websites/trackers, that support or ignore spreading them, right? if you are really from france as your profile flag suggests, i am afraid to tell you that you fell for your government and for making up none existing arguments like those from the MPAA and several other industrial "victims" of copyright violations.