Author Topic: Does Avast 5.0 block (disable) autorun.ini file in USB like Avira?  (Read 8247 times)

meigyoku

Avira 10 can disable autorun.ini file USB (user can turn on/off this function)
Does Avast 5.0 block (disable) autorun.ini file in USB like Avira?
I do not want to use other USB antivirus with Avast because I think Avast can disable autorun.ini file in USB

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does Avast 5.0 block (disable) autorun.ini file in USB like Avira?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection, that is what resident scanners do. So first off if an autorun.inf file runs, it would be trying to run another executable which would of course be scanned by the resident scanner, that is how they work.

You should also have your OS fully up to date as there have been security updates relating to the autorun function, so that you can set it not to run within the OS, so the function isn't required in an anti-virus. That anti-virus should do what it should scan files as they are accessed and alert to infection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

meigyoku

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:38:55 AM »
I thinh Avast should make it: disable autorun.ini file like some other USB antivirus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:17:25 AM »
I thinh Avast should make it: disable autorun.ini file like some other USB antivirus
Sorry, -1
It's not an antivirus protection, rather a Windows setting.
Disabling it is just acknowledge that you can detect and separate the real infections from legit autorun files.
The best things in life are free.

oagr

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:43:15 AM »
i have a problem with my kingston pendrive as soon i put it on the usb drive Avast detect in the recent created autorun.inf file an autorun-ao[wrm]and kill it. My question is can i disable the autorun.inf file creation? and if it is possible how.
many thanks