5 (33.3%)
No
2 (13.3%)
Both
8 (53.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: <<Ubuntu/Linux General Discussion>>  (Read 52635 times)

Hermite15

Re: Do I really need an Anti-Virus for Ubuntu?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
I don't deny the fact there's a possibility for malware downloaded  in Linux (that won't affect anything on Ext3/4 anyway) to infect an NTFS partition, or an USB key that will in turn infect Windows if you dual-boot. But I've used Linux long enough and never saw it happen, so that's one thing. The other thing is I've been posting during years on a few Linux forums (PCLOS, Mandriva...a bit on *buntu...) and never saw anything reported about cross platform infections. First, many Linux users use just Linux, so there's no risk as 99,99% of malware needs a Windows based operating system to be effective, while many others dual-boot (like myself, though not currently), and never got a virus infection from running Linux "unprotected". So, I just won't use an AV in Linux. If Linux went mainstream (could always happen, in years, another topic...), then chances are it will be targeted, and chances are there will be appropriate software - not the ones we have now that are meant for Windows files and processes (even if "usable" but useless in Linux like Avast for Linux) - but Linux security software, new software. One last thing, I read there were about 45 acknowledged threats for Linux...not worth bothering ;) + it's sounds more difficult to run an executable  with elevated privilege in Linux than it is in Windows (even with UAC on and a limited account).

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »
Symantec want to take your money? What a surprise!
hmmm...maybe......and some use time, money and brainpower to make free antivirus for Linux ?

Most are actually intended as money making exercises- aimed at the server market.  The free desktop versions are just a spin off.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Go Pack Go

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 01:22:46 AM »
I've been using Ubuntu for two years.  From what I understand, you do not need an AV for Ubuntu.  Ubuntu is considered one of the more secure Linux distros.  You run in an account with low permissions which makes it pretty secure out of the box.  The only reason I've seen to use an AV is so you don't help spread malware to your friends on Windows boxes.  I think clam-tk is in the repos, a GUI for ClamAV that you could scan every so often if you are really worried about it.  As long as you stay with official repos and repos that are well trusted, you are pretty safe from malware.

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
As long as you stay with official repos and repos that are well trusted, you are pretty safe from malware

do you also surf on web sites that are in the repos ???  ;D ...OK the issue discussed here is potential online threats for Linux, and there's almost none to say the truth. When I said about 50 in one of my posts above, that meant 50 all together, since Linux exists, so no big deal... Linux security comes from Linux itself >>> move along, software companies, there's nothing to see ;) ... at least not yet.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
Hm..av for Ubuntu if you want then you can install the avast for linux or else you can surf carefree!
What I can't understand about ubuntu when it plays a flash file with mozilla/google chrome is that it lag that why I prefer windows xp more :)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:47:54 AM »
I agree that Ubuntu don't need an Anti-Virus considering the number of Linux malware infection probability

But,

Just in case things might go wrong  ;) ' no one can predict the future right?'

I decided to try Avast and ClamWin

The only two things I hate about UBUNTU is its brown color everywhere and that it don't boot without questioning me  :-X .

But just wait

Ubuntu 10.4 is going to be released this April

This will remove this brown GUI problem but I read that there are going to be improvements in the boot up process but I am not sure

Here are some images

You can find more screenshots here

http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-beta-1-screenshots-gallery.html

Thanks everyone for your advise. I appreciate it greatly. :D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:50:07 AM by Chris Thomas »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 03:36:05 PM »
The only two things I hate about UBUNTU is its brown color everywhere

Haven't you changed your theme yet. Linux is veeeeeeeeery customizable. You can make it look and animate like a MAC or 7. You should also check Compiz and Beryl. :)

By the way 10.4 is Lucid Lynx. Being kinda Apple-ish in naming. Hehe.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Go Pack Go

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
As long as you stay with official repos and repos that are well trusted, you are pretty safe from malware

do you also surf on web sites that are in the repos ???  ;D ...OK the issue discussed here is potential online threats for Linux, and there's almost none to say the truth. When I said about 50 in one of my posts above, that meant 50 all together, since Linux exists, so no big deal... Linux security comes from Linux itself >>> move along, software companies, there's nothing to see ;) ... at least not yet.

I just mean that if you use third-party PPAs, that is where someone might be exposed to malware.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »

I just mean that if you use third-party PPAs, that is where someone might be exposed to malware.

oh OK ;) just be careful with this statement, I'll be a bit off topic here, I've just heard too much on Linux forums things like that one should avoid at all cost stuff that doesn't come from the repos and I do deeply disagree. Imagine asking people to install only programs compiled by Microsoft on Windows...seriously, the issue for instance is when a Firefox new version has been released and it take ages, sometimes months until it's pushed to the main repos in a distro, for hundred of reasons, dependencies etc..or proprietary software that you would never get if you don't go get it yourself where it actually belongs: on the owner's website.

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:00 AM »
I use OpenSUSE and put avast as antivirus on it, but never used it obviously :)

I wonder when avast would be on the installation package on Linux, since clamAV and avira already there.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Hermite15

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:41 AM »
I use OpenSUSE and put avast as antivirus on it, but never used it obviously :)

I wonder when avast would be on the installation package on Linux, since clamAV and avira already there.

it's not needed, and since you acknowledge yourself that you wouldn't use it... the only people asking if an AV is needed on Linux are the ones running Linux for the first time, or eternal noobs (not intended to you Cahya, you said you don't use it).

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Even if you have an AV, its on demand so you wont get that much difference as having no AV at all.
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
I agree that Ubuntu don't need an Anti-Virus considering the number of Linux malware infection probability

But,

Just in case things might go wrong  ;) ' no one can predict the future right?'

I decided to try Avast and ClamWin

The only two things I hate about UBUNTU is its brown color everywhere and that it don't boot without questioning me  :-X .

But just wait

Ubuntu 10.4 is going to be released this April

This will remove this brown GUI problem but I read that there are going to be improvements in the boot up process but I am not sure

Here are some images

You can find more screenshots here

http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-beta-1-screenshots-gallery.html

Thanks everyone for your advise. I appreciate it greatly. :D

awesome looking!
But what I need is rather windows stuffs like Video converter,downloader,Microsoft office and I am not that good in linux at all O.O"

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
awesome looking!
But what I need is rather windows stuffs like Video converter,downloader,Microsoft office

Use WINE, though emulation is not that good yet.
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
@ Logos

I am not a new user to Linux.  :P

I know that there is no need for an AV in Linux but I am installing it as a 'What if'

This doubt came to whether to install an AV because my friend on a Linux detected a Linux.Bliss and Linux.Satyr Virus with his Antivir.

@ Shiw Liang

There is OpenOffice for you in Ubuntu