Author Topic: How to remove these tracking cookies?  (Read 26171 times)

bms

How to remove these tracking cookies?
« on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:39 AM »
Spyware doctor has detected 7 infections of Application.TrackingCookies, all being browser cookies, but since I'm using the trial version, it cannot remove them. My other anti viruses can't detect them. Malwarebytes free, a-squared free, SUPERantispyware free, avast free, and AVG free. What could I do to remove these tracking cookies?

NETID01 revsci. net
NETSEGS_K05540 revsci .net
rsi_us_1000000 revsci .net
v1st dmtracker .com
udm_0 revsci .net
rsi_cls_1000000 revsci .net
rsi_segs_1000000 revsci .net

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to remove these tracking cookies?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:20 AM »
Tracking cookies are a myth on protection.
Spyware doctor should concentrate its attention to real infections.
Which browser do you use? Most of them you can configure to clean cookies on exit.
The best things in life are free.

bms

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 04:40:34 AM »
Firefox, I've tried clearing all the tracking cookies, it won't work, they're still on my computer. These tracking cookies also aren't in my folders, so they're clearly designed to be hidden.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:23:19 AM by bms »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:54 AM »
One option is to use Ccleaner. The cookie cleaner part of it has a whitelist, so you can save the cookies you want, delete all others. Except for Flash Cookies. For those you'll need better privacy.
Cookies will, of course, be re-created after deletion simply by visiting the site that placed them in the first place.
They're not a big threat at all.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
avast free, and AVG free.
Do you have avast and AVG installed at the same time ?.....not smart

Multiple antivirus
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=e174c11ddd960153de6d816bd7863f4d&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Clash Of The Antivirus Apps
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp

Are cookies really spyware and are they dangerous?
http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=26

Jahn

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
@ bms

Some sites also place cookies in the Internet Explorer cache even though you're using Firefox. You can manually delete these, or use CCleaner as a time saver. You can also delete flash cookies with CCleaner by placing a check mark in Adobe Flash Player in Cleaner > Applications. Choose the slim version of CCleaner at the bottom of THIS PAGE (no bundled Yahoo Toolbar).

Jahn

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
Except for Flash Cookies.
Flash cookies will be deleted with CCleaner providing Adobe Flash Player is selected. Here's ONE of many references at Piriform forums. :)

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
Some sites also place cookies in the Internet Explorer cache even though you're using Firefox

I posted that on Mozillazine forums long ago and noone there believed me, they said it was impossible ::) ... not even mentioning that some extensions send files to the temp folder while browsing...

bms

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
I just tried clearing all of my cookies from both internet explorer and firefox with ccleaner..Did another scan, and they are still on my computer..All 7 of them.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:48:16 PM »
Quote from: SUPERantiSpyware
Cookies are simply text files stored on your hard drive and cannot themselves harm your computer in any way. Typically cookies are used to remember logins and keep track of user settings on web-sites.

Cookies can be used to track your movement on the Internet ONLY if a site is aware of the cookies and is designed to use the specific cookies. Because of their use in tracking, many feel that this constitutes spyware.

Those are no real threat afterall.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Delete on Firefox or Chrome to delete those.

Added: Make sure website preferences is also checked and Everything is on time range if you want to delete those. :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:51:43 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

bms

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
Those are no real threat afterall.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Delete on Firefox or Chrome to delete those.

Added: Make sure website preferences is also checked and Everything is on time range if you want to delete those. :)

As I've already said multiple times, I've done exactly this, they are STILL on my computer.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:04:08 PM by bms »

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
they're still on your computer because you didn't read this post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58055.msg489353#msg489353

Saty

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
hey bms,  just a thought,

are you by any chance using this plugin in firefox?

Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out (TACO)

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
One option is to use Ccleaner. The cookie cleaner part of it has a whitelist, so you can save the cookies you want, delete all others. Except for Flash Cookies. For those you'll need better privacy.
Cookies will, of course, be re-created after deletion simply by visiting the site that placed them in the first place.
They're not a big threat at all.

You can use this to get rid of flash cookies:

http://www.flashcookiecleaner.com/
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Jahn

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Some sites also place cookies in the Internet Explorer cache even though you're using Firefox

I posted that on Mozillazine forums long ago and noone there believed me, they said it was impossible ::) ... not even mentioning that some extensions send files to the temp folder while browsing...
Actually, I now think I erred. It seems that certain third party programs that use the IE engine (despite the default browser setting) are responsible for generating the IE cookies. Two programs I have found so far are SuperAntiSpyware and Free Download Manager. I seem to remember that Avast 4 used to cause IE cookies, too, when certain UI functions were actuated.