Author Topic: Foxit toolbar (Ask) with my Foxit Reader  (Read 17930 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Foxit toolbar (Ask) with my Foxit Reader
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
I mean I unchecked everything that time Scott, even the agree to terms and conditions, so the instal should not have gone through. But it did. Strange. ???

I wonder if Foxit are a bit embnarrassed about it. Cause nothing there.
Not sure where to find their changelog.

You can see, however, how this whole thing was so frustrating for me. Then, I'm rtevisiting as well
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
Too true. I have used George's uninstall utility Bob. I did a few test runs with various things yesterday.

That Ask Toolbar is a real worry. I fear Foxit may have made a deal with the devil this time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:23:02 AM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:10 AM »
I have removed Ask with the uninstaller okay now. And so only the Foxit menu is there no Search only a Find box. Has editing tools and looks to be working well just as a Reader. Ask appears gone. there is a facility mobile there (may have been there for a while?).

Alan Baxter

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
Foxit has just released a new version which -- among other things -- fixes the bug.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit/changelog/7517/
- Fixes some bugs from previous versions including an issue where Ask Toolbar may be installed by default.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »
Hi Alan (and all),

I have just installed this latest update and it does appear to play nice, I unchecked the I agree to the terms (which I still consider a bit devious) not to get the Ask toolbar it didn't install it.

I also unchecked a number of other options during the Custom install, not to install the firefox plugin (I don't view pdfs in a browser) and I also didn't want it as my home page. I did the same for an eBay shortcut on my desktop and associated option in the program. All of which appear to have been honoured, fingers crossed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alan Baxter

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
I also unchecked a number of other options during the Custom install, not to install the firefox plugin (I don't view pdfs in a browser)

I used Help > Check for Updates Now.  No problems here.  I think it's safe to use the plugin as long as I'm using NoScript.  NoScript will prevent all pdfs from being processed by the plugin, except for ones I explicitly allow by clicking on the placeholder.  I have NoScript Options > Embeddings > Apply these restrictions to whitelisted sites too checked.  Even if it's unchecked, the default, pdfs from untrusted sites are blocked.

Seems to me that downloading and loading an untrusted pdf may be just as dangerous as using the plugin, so taking control of which pdfs are loaded is what's important.  Your choice to only view pdfs outside the browser accomplishes that.  Has that ever created any kind of problem for you?  I don't recall ever seeing a situation where viewing a pdf in the browser is required by a legitimate website.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »
I haven't had a problem as such, just considering all the bad press it has received about malformed URLs etc. to 'exploit' the call to the pdf reader, etc.

So my way of thinking the next exploit is only around the next corner as far as on-line exploits are concerned, so I avoid that.

Whilst there are now infected pdf files to consider, downloading it first would at least have avast scan it before it runs and if this attempts to run something (src to another site, etc.) then it has to defeat the AV and then break out of my system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 03:30:47 AM »
Hi there

Have had absolute hands full lately. But I ran my Foxit as above and am now more than happy with this install. I have included screenshot below. The mobile facility I mentioned may be part of Phantom (see link above toolbar) but I just am just so rushed for computer time. Very light, snappy PDF Reader I seem to have ended up with. Not a lot of PDF reading on agenda right now but can say very happy consumer at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:45:48 AM by mkis »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 03:59:04 AM »
Well mine doesn't have the search/find window and I can't recall ever having the mobile devices thing.

Check out the Preferences and see if you can't uncheck some of the customize toolbar options.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:51:55 AM by DavidR »

Alan Baxter

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
I can't recall ever having the mobile devices thing.

It's an ad.  To toggle its display, right-click the toolbar and click on Advertisement.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
I can't recall ever having the mobile devices thing.

It's an ad.  To toggle its display, right-click the toolbar and click on Advertisement.

Ah, if its an advert, then most certainly I would have rooted that option out in the early days of my use of FoxIt ;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
Well mine doesn't have the search/find window and I can't recall ever having the mobile devices thing.

Check out the Preferences and see if you can't uncheck some of the customize toolbar options.

well hold on, I want the Find box because often I want to find something in a document and a keyword search is the best way to do this. so I appreciate the Find facility.

Why would I uncheck when I unchecked every box I came across on my way here.
Thanks to Bob I found a way to get pretty much what I wanted.
Undoubtedly I will need install the Reader somewhere soon so I will let you know how goes. I had a client through today and I mentioned perhaps he would like to replace Adobe with Foxit, so perhaps he will run the routine install and let me know how goes.

The Phantom thing is a Help Center type feature, which likely advertises additional or up-and-coming Foxit features (as Alan Baxter says) - a different ad each time Reader is opened. I have only seen the mobile facility shown once (first or second time I opened), and because each ad links through to url and I haven't got that computer hooked to web at the moment, I cannot comment further. However, good advise, I right-click toolbar, click on Advertisement and gone. I try to find time to follow up.

Hey, open and close a few times before finish here and I got it!
Transfered here with help of flash drive - see screenshot.
Thats me outta here.

x-posted

Edit - well correction - removing ad same as unchecking Advertisement box.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:15:12 PM by mkis »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 04:49:01 PM »
Well I don't use the pdf reader very often and had never used the Find/Search windows in the time before eventually unchecking it. If I ever do need to search it is easy to do through the Menu, View, Toolbars, Find toolbar.

Since having a play with the settings I have also pruned the Favourites Toolbar killing that lower line of icons, increasing screen real estate, I'm a minimalist at heart, pruning toolbars that I don't use on a regular basis ;D

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »
Sorry so long in reply David. Other things to take care of.

Yes I am of the same mind when it comes to preferences in computer programs. Mostly minimum features, I like light, fast and snappy, so some relief that I can return to using Foxit Reader. I need PDF Reader because nearly all computer hardware archive is recorded in PDF format, such a wonderful option taken up by my predecessors on the internet (the peopling of web 1.0, I refer to that period in the development of the web - and the web 1.0 archive has been so strong for so long, though perhaps breaking up a bit now).

I haven't had time to tweak my Reader so far, but a quick peek tells me there is much potential to customize according to my needs. One single row of icons certainly sounds a good idea. I will be looking to do much the same as you. Such great advise available in this forum.