Author Topic: Crash after Avast 5 upgrade?  (Read 1829 times)

Paendragon

Crash after Avast 5 upgrade?
« on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
I have been with Avast for ages, and have loved it.  I saw my free registration period ending and decided that I would support this company by purchasing the Suite.  I installed the license and rebooted my machine.  It got to loading windows then a BSOD flashes on the screen and immediately reboots.  This is a Vista Home Premium 32 bit version.  I tried this also on a same operating system but on a laptop.  It also failed to restart, however it successfully ran the automated repair.  After it did finally boot, it came up unprotected.  The auto-fix feature apparently corrected this, but with my desktop the auto-repair didn't work and it has been running the prebuilt scans under the repair partition.  There have been no errors so far with those.  I have to wonder about this because it affected two computers in nearly identical fashions.  I can't imagine I did something wrong, since it's really not difficult to install the license file.  Any suggestions?

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Crash after Avast 5 upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »
Uninstall avast. The next time, download avast IS/PRO installer and insert the appropriate license. Upgrading from Free seem to result to a BSOD. It is better if you download a trial of IS/PRO and insert the license.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Paendragon

Re: Crash after Avast 5 upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
Thanks!