Author Topic: How to prevent avast from stopping on each detection ?  (Read 3999 times)

creben

How to prevent avast from stopping on each detection ?
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:04:52 AM »
Hello to all !

I encounter some trouble with the new Avast 5. When I want to schedule a scan on the next startup, Avast stops the scan each time it finds a malware and asks me what to do (quarantine, delete, ignore, ...).

This is not very convenient if I want to scan when I am not at home or during the night.

Is it possible to scan the entire computer without stopping on each detection and show the results at the next startup ? It would be easier to use.

Thanks !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to prevent avast from stopping on each detection ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:18 AM »
Are you talking about a boot-time scan ?
If so this isn't the general purpose of this scan, it is normally used to overcome problems with dealing with malware which can't be dealt with in normal mode, file in use, etc. So because of this there aren't any automated actions.

Well the on-demand scan can be scheduled and you can set up a custom scan (button at the bottom of the Scan Now interface). From that you check the Automatically apply actions during scan. Now you can set the automated action for Virus detections, Move to Chest being best/safest. So you can set whatever time,etc in the Scheduling, section.

If you choose No Action, I believe you will get your report at the end of the scan and you can select what action to take for individual or multiple files detected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

creben

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:43 AM »
Ok

I already know that I can choose the "no action" option when scanning in normal mode and get a report at the end.

But, I thought that boot time scan was better than normal scan in windows mode, because more malwares are detected when programs and process are not yet started. I expected that the boot-time scan could make a report at the startup without stopping at each malware detection (malware detection is not a problem but there is a lot of false positive on my PC and avast often stops)

Never mind, if it's impossible to get a report in boot mode I'll use the normal mode for my weekly scanning.

Thanks for the help !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:50:34 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bo.elam

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Hi David, I have chosen "no action". Can I safely assume that if want to
ignore a detection,because it could be a FP, at the end of the scan I can
just ignore the detection by choosing again "no action". Will I have again
the option at the end to chose "no action".
Thanks a lot.
Bo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:51:28 AM »
No Action means take no action on that scan, leave the file in its original location. It will not allow a suspect/infected file to be run, nor will it remember that choice on future scans (e.g. ignore/exclude).

If you have a file that you consider is a false positive, you should first confirm that using a site like virustotal.com if only avast and GData detect it then it is possibly an FP.

Now you should report it as a false positive by submitting it from the chest so it can be analysed and the virus signature corrected. That way it helps all avast users that may be using that file/program, etc.

bo.elam

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
Thanks David, I always use Virus Total and Jottis. In the year I was with
Avira I had 12 detections/12 false positives. I have not been infected in
a long time, probably never will again since I have learned prevention.
By default my choice whenever something is detected by any scanner
is to ignore or do nothing. Then I check the file and see the dates and
go to Virus Total/Jotti and I can in less than 5 minutes know what I got.
So I guess the closest to doing what I like doing (using Avast) is to use
"no action" right?
My PC is an HP and you probably know some AV applications like Avira
do detect many HP original files as viruses that later turn out to be FP.
I dont think Avast has that problem with HP but I remember reading a
post from about 2 month ago at this forum, of a lady that got detected
some files at her HP Recovery folder. If I had been using Avast at that
time, this files on my PC would had been detected. That lady suffered
but I laughed when Avira detected those same files on my PC at about
the same time. When I read that thread about 10 days ago I wished I
had been using Avast, because I would had been able to help her and
Avast would have fixed that definition faster than they did.
Thank 

Bo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »
No Action generally follows what you do to first confirm any detection before taking action, so long as you don't expect to be able to use the file in the meantime.

That is why it is important to report false positives if they related to what would be commonly used processes/hardware/applications, so they can be quickly corrected. When an FP is reported and acknowledged avast have been quick to correct in the past.

bo.elam

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:49:57 AM »
David I will help real fast when I detect a false positive, I always done
that in the past. My first full scan and Boot scan with Avast were 100%
clean, but if something gets detected in the future I will send it to Avast.
Bo