Author Topic: Avast email alert - only TEST works, not during actual use!!  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Shaun985

Hi, there was an old thread about this same problem: test email alerts via SMTP work absolutely fine, but when an actual virus is found by Avast in real time or scheduled scan or on demand scanning, no email alert is sent!  Would really love to have this problem fixed as I refuse to enable Messenger service to use Net Send.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Shaun985

Re: Avast email alert - only TEST works, not during actual use!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Searched the forum and this seems to be an old issue that has been swept under the rug!  Is there no way to get email alerts working properly?  The email alert TEST works without a problem, so why wouldn't it work during actual usage?  I've been trying to use a hotmail account for the SMTP alerts, if that helps any.

Cassy

Re: Avast email alert - only TEST works, not during actual use!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 04:48:54 PM »
Searched the forum and this seems to be an old issue that has been swept under the rug!
Yes.  I suspect that this proves that you're much better at forum searches than most of us are, though.

Is there no way to get email alerts working properly?
Considering how many users have tried, I suspect that as long as ALWIL doesn't care, and treats those users with the problem as expendables, the problem will not be solved.  If someone at ALWIL cared, maybe THEY could solve the problem; I doubt that we will.

The email alert TEST works without a problem, so why wouldn't it work during actual usage?
One of the ALWIL people, vlk I think, does explain somewhere on this forum the difference between the email routing in the test gadget and the email routing when a real hit is made.  If I can find it I'll post the reference, but I think that it will only help you if you're a real hard-core techie.  For reasons of my own, I think that they've bought a third-party component which is a lemon, but that should make it just easier to fix, if someone cared.

I've been trying to use a hotmail account for the SMTP alerts, if that helps any.
I don't that's related to the problem.  When trying to find my own solution, I was using the plainest of plain-vanilla SMTP servers.  I even tried it with a local SMTP server.  No luck.

Good luck.
C.