Author Topic: Outlook toolbar issues: feedback needed  (Read 29302 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook toolbar issues: feedback needed
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
Thanks.
Any news about the problem itself?
The best things in life are free.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
I sent you a testing version of asoutext.dll (please backup your copy before trying this copy) to play around with - hopefully it will resolve your problems.

slk2k

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 02:18:07 AM »
This seem slike a good thread as any to post this ....

Hate to say it, but office 2010 has gone RTM and will hit TechNet/MSDN this week.  Does anyone know if there are any problems
with the outlook toolbar and outlook 2010?  I want to avoid any issues if possible and if that means waiting to upgrade my
office, so be it!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 03:59:39 AM »
I sent you a testing version of asoutext.dll (please backup your copy before trying this copy) to play around with - hopefully it will resolve your problems.

Unfortunately, I've did not make any backup... I'll have to wait for the next program upgrade.
Until there, the plugin will remain disabled, as it is not working in my computer with Office 2007.
The best things in life are free.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:12 AM »
Outlook 2010 changes the look of the main window by replacing the traditional toolbar with the new ribbon. The current build of Avast IS is not Outlook 2010 compliant but should not cause instabilities. The next build will be work fine, so stay tuned ...

slk2k

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 04:08:34 AM »
Outlook 2010 changes the look of the main window by replacing the traditional toolbar with the new ribbon. The current build of Avast IS is not Outlook 2010 compliant but should not cause instabilities. The next build will be work fine, so stay tuned ...

I trialed 2010 before I purchased AIS. I am looking forward to using Office2010, but will gladly wait a bit if it means better integrated support. As a follow-up, any eta with 2010 support (less than a month, more than a month, etc)?

Thanks!

k.u.r.t

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
I am not sure about the next release date but I do not expect it to take more than a month, probably less. Anyway just be advised that Office 2010 will come in x86 and x64 flavours. Right now our internal AIS only works with the x86 version of Outlook 2010 as there is still no 64bit version of avast!. If nothing goes wrong I expect that we will support x64 Outlook in version 5.1 (due out probably in Q3/Q4 this year)

slk2k

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
I am x64 (where I can) so that's good to know when selecting/choosing which version of outlook/office to use!  Looking forward to x64 support!

Clay_Glenn

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »
Please confirm that you tried the following sequence exactly as posted below:

1. Stop Outlook (check in the task manager whether OUTLOOK.EXE keeps running and kill it if necessary)
2. Start>Run>cmd
3. cd "\program files\alwil software\avast5\"
4. regsvr32 /u asoutext.dll
5. Start Outlook (the toolbar should NOT be visible and the plugin should NOT even be listed)
6. Stop Outlook (check in the task manager whether OUTLOOK.EXE keeps running and kill it if necessary)
7. regsvr32 asoutext.dll
8. Start Outlook (the toolbar might or might not be visible, and the plugin should be listed (hopefully not disabled))

Looking forward to seeing your results.

I think my problem is related.  Please let me know if I should start a new thread.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 on an HP desktop computer with 4-core CPU and 4GB ram.  I have two user accounts on this computer: mine and my wife's.  I am running MS Outlook 2007 SP2 MSO.  I just reinstalled the entire OS from scratch, and applied all of the updates.  I am running AIS 5.0.545.

When I start Outlook in my account, everything works fine (the Avast add-in starts and the Avast toolbar shows up).  But when I go to my wife's account and start up Outlook, the Avast add-in runs, but there is no Avast toolbar.  The mail is being sorted properly into the spam folder, but I have no toolbar buttons to indicate that an email is/isn't spam.

When I check Tools/Trust Center/Add-ins on my wife's Outlook, the Avast addin isn't there.  But when I click on the "Manage:" dropbox below and select "Exchange Client Extensions" and then "Go", it does show the "avast 5" entry in the Add-in Manager window, and it is selected (box is checked).  When I tried to perform the seven steps outlined above, I get the error message saying the "module asoutext.dll loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8007005."

I originally installed AIS last week before I wiped and reloaded Vista.  As I recall, the Avast toolbar showed up correctly in Outlook under both my and my wife's user accounts.  It also works correctly on her laptop where I have it installed.

Is this an application bug?  Or has it somehow "used up" its license because I reinstalled it on the same computer?  I have the license for three computers for two years.  It is mostly working on my wife's Outlook, but I think the "Spam/not Spam" buttons are pretty important. 

Any suggestions?

>>>> Clay >>>>

Mark H

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
K.U.R.T.,  Does this apply to Avast free (5.0.545) and Outlook 2000  running on XP Pro SP3 as well? My issue is Outlook will not open after receiving an update (opens, then closes with "Microsoft Outlook has encountered an error and needs to close.....) error.

Edit: I have debug logging enabled, but the asOutExt.log file is not there. I did a search, and Windows cannot find it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:23:44 PM by Mark H »

live_73

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »
I put this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60395.new;topicseen#new but find this one also. Any help for my problem?  ???

k.u.r.t

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2010, 10:14:48 AM »
Everyone,
this is an old thread for AIS 5.0.492. Please start your own threads if you experience issues with the current build (5.0.545) and describe in detail what those issues are. My first advise before your report anything though is to enable debug logging in avasts's Settings > Maintenance and restart. Once you experience issues please go to

c:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\Log (under Win2000, WinXP)
or
c:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\ (under Vista, Win7)

and post your asoutext.log and also any unp*.mdmp files if present.
Cheers,
T.