Author Topic: help needed to understand "Chest" where files are moved to...  (Read 3062 times)

rondamommie

I just scanned my computer. I found one Trojan Horse and 2 other Malwares. The program recommended I repair one and move 2 to the "Chest".  What is the "Chest"? I can't find a users manual for my free sw or any description of this Chest. 

Can someone please enlighten me? Is there anything I need to do with the Chest now that the virus files are in there? Where is this chest, on my hard-drive now? Do I need to throw them in the trash and delete the files?

Help! 

Thanks, Peace, Ronda  :)

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: help needed to understand "Chest" where files are moved to...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
Ronda

The Chest is located (on a Windows XP system) at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\chest.  It's a special folder that avast! automatically set up when you installed it.  The following is from the avast! help file:

The virus chest can be thought of as a folder on your hard disk with special properties, that make it a safe, isolated place for storing potentially harmful files. You can work with the files in the virus chest, with some security restrictions.

The main feature of the virus chest is complete isolation from the rest of the operating system. No outside process, such as a virus, can access the files inside the chest and as files inside the chest cannot be run, there is no danger in storing files there.

As a result of its unique properties, the virus chest is effectively a "quarantine" area which can therefore be used for various purposes:

Storing viruses - if avast! finds a virus and you decide not to delete it for some reason, you will be offered the option of moving it to the virus chest. With the virus in the chest, you can be sure that it will not be run, accidentally or otherwise.
Storing suspicious files - the chest is useful for storing suspicious files for later analysis.
Storing copies of other files which need to be kept separate from the rest of the system.

You can adjust some of the properties of the Chest by using the "Settings" options of avast.  Other than those settings there is nothing else to be concerned with - avast! will manage the Chest automatically.

Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »
Chest is a safe folder (place) to store the infections where they could not harm.
It's better that direct deletion as it allows further investigation (scan, repair, restore).
The best things in life are free.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
Hello, I'm very computer illiterate. I was reading the responses about the "chest". I ran a complete scan and wow I had allot of stuff pop up, it gave me the option to repair or move to chest and something else. I chose to repair and it said only two items out of 45 could be repaired so I opted for the move to chest option. I'm not sure if that is what I was suppose to do? I need to learn more about how to take care of my computer. I don't want to harm anything but I don"t know what to do. If anyone can enlighten me I would really appreciate it ::)

Misty

Light Archangel

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
Hello Misty Welcome to the forums  ;)

I chose to repair and it said only two items out of 45 could be repaired so I opted for the move to chest option. I'm not sure if that is what I was suppose to do?

Sending the infected things to the chest is one of the best options you can choose

When A virus is in the chest this cannot cause any harm to your computer, so don't worry  ;D