Author Topic: avast,avira,avg,or mse which is the best?  (Read 18645 times)

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
avast,avira,avg,or mse which is the best?
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
I promise that i will compare the 3 knights,but a new knight has join them,so take a look
Installation:winner:avast!
mse, avira and avast run after installation,avg require reboot.avast is faster than avira which require the user to configure the application,mse require a genuine windows version
Graphical User Interface:
i dont know what to say all the programs have nice GUIs,enable you to reach main functions but i like orange more than blue and red."avast is nice,mse is simple,avira is object oriented avg offer you an upgrade to other products"
performance:(winner:avast,avira*)avast and avira have good performance you dont feel that you have anti virus"but avira dont provide protections and layers like avast",avg is moderate and mse will make you feel that you really have a very slow anti virus especially when you have folders full of .exe files
Scan Options:winner(avast,avira)
both programs allow you to configure the scanner in good way,avg allow you too but not in the depth like avast,mse dont allow you to control so much in the scan options
Features:
avast:offer a behavior blocker,network shield"NIPS",boot time scan,built in malware submission system
mse:spynet community,Dynamic Signature Service
avira:generic repair
avg:link scanner

malwaer cleaning:
in addition to the regular methods in cleaning
avast:boot time scan
avira:generic repair
avg:i could not find
mse:really good in removing leftovers from registry,and system files
lacks:nothing could be called complete and every thing has some lacks"we will take lacks as a lacks in an antivirus program not IS program"
avast:need to be more effective in disinfecting complex viruses,scan registry for malware related keys
avira:lacks web scanner,email scanner,some kind of proactive protection like"HIPS OR BEHAVIOR BLOCKER",gamer mode
avg:anti rootkit"real one",proactive protection
mse:if they merge the protection module that used in windows defender mse will be very very good,more complex options for advanced users,and good submission system,develop their updating system for the AV database
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
conclusion:
as you can see avast provide better features for no cost.so what is the best for me?of course you know
if any thing wrong or biased point to it
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast,avira,avg,or mse which is the best?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
superhacker, seems that there are a lot of "opinions" involved.
I don't think Avira is that bad... really.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:25:22 AM »
Hello SH,

Yeah, tech's right.

nmb

normishmael

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »
" avast,avira,avg,or mse which is the best?"="I thank Avast! is,and want to share my opinion  where I know it will not be challenged."

Answer to the posted question: Avira by a mile!!

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
...and another sense- and useless thread.  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:51:47 AM »
@Zyndstoff: Oh why is it useless?People are always wondering that,so that a good way to show them instead of explaining explaining like a mad he used photos.

Avira is good lolz not bad to the hell lolz

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »
Hi All,

This is quite nice review and we should appreciate superhackers effort to did this review.

Anyway, i more prefer avast! for Free one but in terms of paid version i think avast! is also stable than others. But this is not absolutely valued, maybe in the future other's vendor can improve their product as well.

cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
superhacker, seems that there are a lot of "opinions" involved.
I don't think Avira is that bad... really.
avira better than avast if you use a pc that dont connect to the internet and always updated offline since avira has better detection than avast and it heuristics is better"dont blame me",but here we talk about computers that access the net
...and another sense- and useless thread.  8)
your opinion,i respect it
Hi All,

This is quite nice review and we should appreciate superhackers effort to did this review.

Anyway, i more prefer avast! for Free one but in terms of paid version i think avast! is also stable than others. But this is not absolutely valued, maybe in the future other's vendor can improve their product as well.

cheers,

thanks Yanto.Chiang and yes you are right avira,avg and mse also avast can add more features and become better and better
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »
avira better than avast if you use a pc that dont connect to the internet and always updated offline since avira has better detection than avast and it heuristics is better"dont blame me",but here we talk about computers that access the net
Ok, I agree.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »
I've found that MSE is better for people that don't know much about computers, It really is install and forget. If it finds something the only thing the user has to do is click "Clean Computer". My "Not so knowledgeable" users really appreciate this and I get fewer calls about what to do since it does a REALLY good job of cleaning the system.

The only change I make in the program is a small registry hack to make MSE check for updates every 3  hours instead of every 24. I've found that with this change, MSE generally gets 3 updates per day. ( depending on how long your system is on per day)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:42:17 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
@ Marc,

And the hack is.. let us know.. :) or at least a link? :-\

Thx
nmb

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
I've found that MSE is better for people that don't know much about computers, It really is install and forget. If it finds something the only thing the user has to do is click "Clean Computer". My "Not so knowledgeable" users really appreciate this and I get fewer calls about what to do since it does a REALLY good job of cleaning the system.
<snip>

Strange how there are a number of other topics saying the opposite, with a degree of venom about automated detection actions ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
That depends on the action that is automated... If it is "repair" and this repair option works to a certain degree of reliability: yes, than it is the most preferable thing.

Send to chest and make the PC unbootable is only the second best choice...  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
@ Marc,

And the hack is.. let us know.. :) or at least a link? :-\

Thx
nmb

Here Ya go Murali my Friend. It says you can change it to 4,6, or 8 but 3 works as well. Remember to reset the permissions on the registry key when your done.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/26/how-to-make-microsoft-security-essentials-check-for-updates-more/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:57:38 PM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Why do people think MSE does a better cleaning job than avast?
Sensation of security (lack of configurability, etc.) is not the same as security itself.