Author Topic: 4/7/10 - Update and registration renewal notice  (Read 3072 times)

msmisfit

4/7/10 - Update and registration renewal notice
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »
I'm using free version 4.8.1368, and today got a notice about update and registration renewal.  I clicked the Free version to update and renew, and it took a very long time for the install process to complete.  When it did, it said an error had occurred, so I tried to save the notes on clipboard but it didn't work.

Essentially what it said, was that there was NO folder in the Registry for the program.  Before that, it said something about using IE.  I do not use MSIE, could that be why it couldn't find the folder it was looking for?

I checked and though it finished, it did not install the new version, or at least it says I still have 4.8.  What should I do? [My O/S is WinXP2, Firewall Sygate.]

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 4/7/10 - Update and registration renewal notice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

msmisfit

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
You don't think it has anything to do with Mozilla putting files in places MSIE does not?  I don't want to go through all that, and find out the same incompatibility is still there.  :(

BTW, how could Avast work now, if there was no folder in the Registry?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
You don't think it has anything to do with Mozilla putting files in places MSIE does not?
??? Can't follow you...

I don't want to go through all that, and find out the same incompatibility is still there.  :(
Which incompatibility? You don't need IE or Firefox to run avast.

You will do an installation from the scratch.

msmisfit

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »
You don't think it has anything to do with Mozilla putting files in places MSIE does not?
??? Can't follow you...

In the error report, the line before... the Registry folder missing line, said *USE* IE "something".  Sorry I don't have the exact error report, but that is why I made that association... or worried about it.

I don't want to go through all that, and find out the same incompatibility is still there.  :(
Which incompatibility? You don't need IE or Firefox to run avast.

I know... I was just worried about the "IE" reference in the error report, right before it reported a file missing.

You will do an installation from the scratch.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant how is 4.8.1368 working now, if there is no program folder in the registry.  Maybe it meant a folder for 5.0?  Sorry to be so dense, and I see that I messed up the quoting.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
But if you have Windows XP, why don't you get version 5 instead of the 4.8?
Maybe your 4.8 installation is messed...

msmisfit

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »
Guess that's what I will have to do.  I knew that "easy" registration renewal, was too good to be true.  ;)

Thanks for your help/responses.