Author Topic: Installation  (Read 15150 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Installation
« on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »
Hello!

I finally decided that it's time to move from Avast! 4.8 Home Edition to Avast 5.0 Free.

How should I install the new version to avoid all the possible problems?

Where do I get the 4.8 uninstaller and do I have to run it in safe mode?

Is it possible to properly uninstall the old and properly install the new version while off-line (no internet)?

Should I re-set the Shield > Expert Settings > Action settings to avoid the possible FP problems?

What else should I re-set from the default settings, what did you change?

Is version 5 more or less CPU/RAM hungry than 4.8?

What is the behavior shield for, what does it do?

When will a PDF manual for the new version be available (a manual, not a quick guide)?

I noticed (on my brother's PC) that the new version of Avast! is unable to scan (from explorer context menu) inside of a sandboxed space (Sandboxie) while the old can. Do you know What is this about?

Is it easy to properly revert back to v4.8 if I'll experience any problems with v5?

Anything else I should know? My PC specs are in my signature.

Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Sparxx

Re: Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
How should I install the new version to avoid all the possible problems?
That's the way :
1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.

Is it easy to properly revert back to v4.8 if I'll experience any problems with v5?
Sure , it's the same procedure :)
Anything else I should know?
There is a problem with DPC latency if your using Malwarebytes paid and have it's proactive shield on .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:04:19 PM by Sparxx »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
Thank you for your help! :)

But that uninstall utility is for v5, not v4.8 I think?

Can someone answer my other questions too, please? :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Sparxx

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
It's for both versions . :)
I noticed (on my brother's PC) that the new version of Avast! is unable to scan (from explorer context menu) inside of a sandboxed space (Sandboxie) while the old can. Do you know What is this about?

Yep , it doesn't work for me too , if i want to scan a sandboxed folder ,  it do nothing .

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:32:49 PM by Sparxx »

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
Yes, it's the same here: nothing happens! Not even a error, warning, nothing at all. I hope that the Avast team will look into that problem and solve it. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »
Bellzemos, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 04:59:03 AM »
Thank you, Tech! :)

These are the processes running with Avast! 4.8 (when not running a scan or anything, just resident protection):

I noticed there are less processes running with Avast! 5.0 on my brother's PC. Why is that so and which ones should be running? Please tell me! :) And please answer my other questions from the 1st post, if possible.

Thank you a lot! :)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »
Well... anyone?  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
There are only two running the avastUI.ex (avast user interface) and the avastSvc.exe (avast service), which controls the on-access shields that would have been reported in 4.8, e.g. Web Shield and Internet Mail.

The exception being avast.setup which only runs during an update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
David, thank you! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 04:30:13 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bo.elam

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »
Hi Bellzemos, I am also using Sbxie and as far as I can tell there are no
issues between the two programs. I did a scan from Windows Explorer
and it worked fine. Take a look at the picture, I think that's what you
were asking.

http://img190.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32646_AvastscanSbox_122_941lo.JPG

Bo

Sparxx

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:34:30 AM »
Hi bo.elam , you're wrong , we're not talking about the sandboxie's container folder , we-re talking about a sandboxed folder , fpr ex. if you rightclick on the disk D and choose from the context menu "Run sandboxed" , the window that appears is what we can now call a sandboxed environment , and there isn't working avast! , i hope you will get what i'm saying .

Cheers .

bo.elam

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:10:38 AM »
Sparxx, you right brother, I just tried it and I don't see Avast icon moving
at all when I am running a folder sandboxed with Sbxie.
Bo

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Yes, that's right. I works with Avast 4.8 but not with Avast 5.0. I hope that they will fix this soon. :)