Author Topic: Windows XP system restore turned off avast  (Read 2992 times)

cher bear

Windows XP system restore turned off avast
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:12:03 AM »
I did a system restore on my computer and it turned off avast. When I hit the fix now button or the start program button, nothing happens. I have no idea how to turn it back on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows XP system restore turned off avast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
System Restore is far from perfect and can have unexpected consequences.

Have you rebooted since using system restore ?

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't work I think you are looking at a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.462 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows XP system restore turned off avast
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »
possibly related to self-defense module being left on throughout the System Restore?

self-defense module
click avast icon in system tray, bottom right-hand corner of screen - to bring up avast user interface (ui)
- go to Settings, top right-hand corner, select troubleshooting, and self-defense module if fourth down on the list
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.