Author Topic: Avast 5 prevents System Restore of Win 7 from completing?  (Read 20212 times)

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 prevents System Restore of Win 7 from completing?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
Will this be addressed in the today/tomorrow update?

you know about a program update for today or tomorrow?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:56 AM »
you know about a program update for today or tomorrow?

Philosophical approach: As every day is today, it should be out today... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
It seems to be solved... but I'm not sure as I could only test when avast updates/upgrades were not involved, i.e., the avast installation does not change before and after the restore.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »
It seems to be solved... but I'm not sure as I could only test when avast updates/upgrades were not involved, i.e., the avast installation does not change before and after the restore.

I didn't check. You mean at least when no upgrade occurred in the meantime, you can restore without having the self-defense module deactivated? I hope so...because there's still no way to deactivate it in safe mode (if booting in normal mode is impossible for any reason) because:

1 if a password was set on the settings, it's rejected anyway in safe mode
2 if there's no password, you can access the settings panel in safe mode but your changes won't be taken into account
3 the reason: avast runs in safe mode without any service, and the settings depend on these services.

The big change now is that you can scan in safe mode, as manual scans can now be done without avastsvc.exe. The other thing is for the rest, all that can't run, it's just normal as for the services to run in safe mode it would imply that Windows would load Avast drivers in safe mode, which will never happen, that's what safe mode is for.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
You mean at least when no upgrade occurred in the meantime, you can restore without having the self-defense module deactivated?
Yes, it works.

Which will never happen, that's what safe mode is for.
No, you can tweak that to load drivers at Safe Mode. Just it will be a customized Safe Mode and not the original one. But it's possible.

Mele20

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
So, what I get from this thread is that I did the right thing in immediately disabling self defense after I installed Avast. This sort of problem is why layered defense is important. On XP, I have ProcessGuard to protect Avast processes. I don't need Avast to protect itself. On Vista, I installed Online Armor ++ just for the classic HIPS so it will protect Avast. I don't want Avast self protection (or Avira's when I was beta testing Avira 10) partly because I need to be able to kill any misbehaving process in Task Manager so I don't want Avast (or Avira) suddenly going nuts and using 100% CPU and I can't kill the process. So there is that reason besides this system restore problem for not using self defense but instead letting another program protect Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
partly because I need to be able to kill any misbehaving process in Task Manager so I don't want Avast (or Avira) suddenly going nuts and using 100% CPU and I can't kill the process.
Why do you need to do so? Or why would you like to do it so?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
I did a system restore on my computer and it turned off avast. When I hit the fix now button or the start program button, nothing happens. I have no idea how to turn it back on.