Author Topic: Unable to upgrade Avast5 to my Internet Security edition on Windows7  (Read 3556 times)

wix

I only realised I was having this problem the other day when my Avast started telling me my "trial" was running out which was confusing because I could have sworn I had inserted my Avast Internet Security license key. Turns out that the software was "bugged" in some way in that when I selected my license key or double clicked it, it registers that its me and my subscription valid until 2011 sometime and inserts it, it starts downloading some files and then suddenly finishes and goes back to exactly how it was before I inserted the key saying "Fully Update trial version" etc.

I found that with some "trickery" you could get it to upgrade itself to internet security but basically the most obvious why I have found it just to uninstall the Avast5 (Not very easy but understandable why it is so) and install a new free version and upgrade it. Even when I do this it doesnt always work. However this is where my problem lies, when it DOES work and upgrades to Internet Security version it demands a restart of the PC. On doing so the bootup gets to the windows loading screen (scrolling bar in xp - vista / spinning windows in 7) , completes this stage and then BSOD's (Blue Screen) me with this message.

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

And then forces a restart (I know this can be fixed but It wasnt immediately working (the force restart on blue screen)). And if you "Continue to start windows normally" this repeats in a loop, impossible to get back to windows. The only way to get back is to "Repair Startup" and then System Restore to the most recent point which is the restore point made while installing avast (atleast I dont lose data :p).

I am running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

Can I please get some help with this problem ? It would be nice to be able to use what I have paid for.

Can post more system details / error logs (if you tell me how to make them etc.), if needed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Unable to upgrade Avast5 to my Internet Security edition on Windows7
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
It shouldn't BSOD. Can you send the memory dump generated by the BSOD to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming ?
Any other software that could interfere with avast? Firewall? Your old antivirus?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
If you google on IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL you will find lots of issues with hardware or a driver problem ....

IntelĀ® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

wix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:57:17 PM »
If you google on IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL you will find lots of issues with hardware or a driver problem ....

I just google'd it and I found that people say it:
"references a file or driver which is causing the problem"
or
"Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL messages are generally due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software"

Given that this only happens when I manage to get the Avast Internet Security to install itself as an upgrade from the free version I'm going to say this is not a hardware issue since I never have this BSOD other than after the A:IS install.

It shouldn't BSOD. Can you send the memory dump generated by the BSOD to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming ?
Any other software that could interfere with avast? Firewall? Your old antivirus?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

With the most recent test of Avast this clean install is EXACTLY what I did. I downloaded the official avast remover from these forums and tried disabling the "Self Protection" in Troubleshooting in my software but whenever i pressed OK it just reset and so I ran the uninstaller in a safe mode boot.

However I will try this again with your links.

How can i see / save / copy the memory dump generated by the BSOD ?

wix

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 04:06:17 AM »
Is bumping allowed?

wix

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:03:55 PM »
Quote from: wix link=topic=58292.msg491207#msg491207
How can i see / save / copy the memory dump generated by the BSOD ?