Author Topic: Avast alert during boot and no ignore option available!  (Read 13152 times)

fphall

Re: Avast alert during boot and no ignore option available!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.  :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
Well in fact I'm not really against adding an Ignore feature (if it's backed by a strong confirmation, e.g. similar to the Stop shields confirmation box), it just isn't there yet as there were obviously more important things on the list.

I just find it a bit amusing how much emotions this (in my opinion, very minor) topic has raised.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mele20

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
Well then, I hope I can look forward to seeing this option added one of these days. :)  I don't mind strong confirmation as I wouldn't want inexperienced users getting confused and choosing that option for the wrong reason. Hopefully, a strong confirmation would get them to think carefully about it and to not click that option unless they were absolutely sure of what they were doing.

Having said that though, I find this trend in so many software, and websites, now of blackening the screen dramatically and flashing lights, etc when trying to get the users attention to be silly and most annoying. That uncalled for drama was the main reason I couldn't disable UAC in Vista fast enough. It has the opposite effect on me. Instead of producing caution on my part, the excess drama, and the black screen which I HATE, makes me just want to click anything so I can get my screen back to a normal look. I figure it cannot be at all important if the vendor or website has to use a lot of unnecessary drama.

If something is important then the importance will speak for itself. If it has to be "enhanced" then it can't be very important. That was my initial reaction to UAC and later to all websites and vendors, including Avast, who insist now on hyping everything up. Hype up things, then nothing is important. UAC is a joke most can't wait to turn off and and blackening screens and flashing stuff in my face, I hate it from any source. If it gets much worse I may not get a new computer as it really interferes with enjoying surfing the net as so many websites do it now for minor little things and why I can't fathom. Vendors like Avast, I understand, are trying to convey seriousness and get the user's attention by doing it but it has the opposite effect on me. It just makes me really irritated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »
Having said that though, I find this trend in so many software, and websites, now of blackening the screen dramatically and flashing lights, etc when trying to get the users attention to be silly and most annoying. That uncalled for drama was the main reason I couldn't disable UAC in Vista fast enough. It has the opposite effect on me. Instead of producing caution on my part, the excess drama, and the black screen which I HATE, makes me just want to click anything so I can get my screen back to a normal look. I figure it cannot be at all important if the vendor or website has to use a lot of unnecessary drama.

If something is important then the importance will speak for itself. If it has to be "enhanced" then it can't be very important. That was my initial reaction to UAC and later to all websites and vendors, including Avast, who insist now on hyping everything up. Hype up things, then nothing is important. UAC is a joke most can't wait to turn off and and blackening screens and flashing stuff in my face, I hate it from any source. If it gets much worse I may not get a new computer as it really interferes with enjoying surfing the net as so many websites do it now for minor little things and why I can't fathom. Vendors like Avast, I understand, are trying to convey seriousness and get the user's attention by doing it but it has the opposite effect on me. It just makes me really irritated.

I think you misunderstood the concept here. The primary purpose of the "dramatic" blackening of the screen, flashing (etc) is not really to get the user's attention and/or look more impressive, but to disallow any malware or scripting tools from actually hooking into the UI and/or injecting fake keystrokes to the dialog ("automating" it).

Switching to a separate desktop is a very powerful concept that really helps fighting these types of problems. So, yes, I agree it can be annoying at times, but it actually has a deeper purpose, and if used modestly, it is a feature that really makes good sense.

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:09:45 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mele20

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Thank you! :) You are the first person to actually explain the purpose. I've commented on this elsewhere in the past and got ignored.  I suppose I should have thought about how switching to another desktop could fight some malware. I have programs such as ProcessGuard on XP and Online Armor ++ to defeat much, if not all, of that with their classic HIPS, and the web is filtered through the Proxomitron with Sidki's latest configs, but most users don't have such software. But some sites do this when you go to look at photos! 

BTW, I don't think Avast uses it excessively...I am just super sensitive to it I think. ;)