Author Topic: Unable to update avast! Free Antivirus  (Read 14592 times)

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Unable to update avast! Free Antivirus
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I fully understand your point there. Did not want to concince you to download and install, just to make my point about the "beta" here. Normally, "beta" marks a completely new development available for testing which in this case is not really true.

If there are problems that can not be solved by other means - why not try the beta. Things can't get worse than a non-working application, or an they?  ::)

Anyway it will be the officially released version soon, so there is no need to argue about anything, and I do see the point you are making as well. More or less a question of personal decision I should think.

Have a nice day
Zyndstoff  8)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
Well, I would advise the beta as well.

As a matter of fact, it is not a beta in the truest sense of the meaning. It is a pre-release of the next update version which includes bugfixes. And the curren 5.0.504 also adresses update problems: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.msg490305#msg490305

So, yes, I would recommend the beta as it is more an update than a beta.
Well, all semantics and "truest sense of the meaning" explanations aside, if the build is being made available for public testing, and the filename has the word "beta" in it, then that's how I look upon it.

Thanks for your input, however.  :)
The files are stored in the beta area area of avast!'s servers but it is a New pre-release build of avast [NOW 5.0.504] as indicated by Vlk's post
Hi *,

we'll soon be releasing a new build of avast 5 Free/Pro/IS. As usual, we're making the build available for public testing before it's officially released (so far the version number is 5.0.504).
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0

So this release addresses several issues
And new in 5.0.504
- Pro AV / IS: solved a compatibility issue with Acronis True Image
- IS firewall: fixes for Internet Connection Sharing
- IS firewall: Windows 2000 compatibility
- IS firewall: solved a compatibility problem with Logitech Desktop Manager
- various fixes in the Outlook antispam add-in
- fixes in ashUpd.exe
- no crashing of AvastUi.exe anymore

This is a New pre-release build and should be installed if you are having a problem with avast!

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then  then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »
I fully understand your point there. Did not want to concince you to download and install, just to make my point about the "beta" here. Normally, "beta" marks a completely new development available for testing which in this case is not really true.

If there are problems that can not be solved by other means - why not try the beta. Things can't get worse than a non-working application, or an they?  ::)

Anyway it will be the officially released version soon, so there is no need to argue about anything, and I do see the point you are making as well. More or less a question of personal decision I should think.

Have a nice day
Zyndstoff  8)
I upgraded to v5.0.507 on one machine and will get the other one shortly.
I will definitely report back to this thread as to whether or not this updating issue gets fixed.
To reiterate, the only real problem has been with trying to manually update when I know that an update is available.
In most cases, that has been impossible, and only a reboot (sometimes) fixes it, or a day change (always) will install the new day's update.
:)

n2addict

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »
Hi,

just to inform that since I moved to 5.0.507, i have no more concern regarding the virus database update.
Thanks to all of you

Cheers
N2

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 11:11:32 AM »
Hi,
just to inform that since I moved to 5.0.507, i have no more concern regarding the virus database update.
Thanks to all of you
Cheers
N2

Thanks a lot for your feedback...!! Good to read it's solved now... :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0