Author Topic: How to find updated 400.vps for BART CD?  (Read 31378 times)

jgalt

How to find updated 400.vps for BART CD?
« on: July 09, 2004, 12:58:21 AM »
I need to recover a virally infected PC using the BART CD. My question is, where do I find an updated 400.vps file that can be used from a floppy disk? I'm sitting in for an admin on vacation and don't have access to his laptop with the update app.  Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:How to find updated 400.vps for BART CD?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 08:33:24 AM »
So what do you have, exactly?
You do have a computer and an Internet access?
But you don't have a burner...?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jgalt

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 07:36:46 PM »
I have a burner. I simply want to locate the updated 400.vps file on the Avast! website and have those definitions available to Avast! for a Anti-Virus scan.

My CD is not BART CD but ERD Commander 2003 with the Avast! AV software on it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 07:40:29 PM »
Hmmmm... not exactly legal is it?

Anyway you can't download 400.vps from the web site directly. But you could steal it from any avast! 4 Home/Pro install...

jgalt

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 08:49:36 PM »
Excuse me? Are you aware that Winternals licensed the Avast! AV software for their ERD product? Obviously not! You should get your facts straight before you accuse people of stealing.

I'm a Marketing Director just trying to help a colleague fix their PC with the ERD CD. I'm unfamiliar with the process of updating the virus definitions file and was simply looking for insight.

So my question to you is this: Why should I ever consider purchasing software from a company that treats customers as thieves?

-John

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 09:08:53 PM »
Erm... I may be wrong, but I suppose that if avast! were licensed for Winternals ERD Commander, Vlk would be aware. BART and ERD Commander are competitive products...

BART and ERD Commander on one CD... sounds like the "Super WinPE UBCD" to me - but as I said, I may be wrong.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 10:03:01 PM »
Sorry if my post sounded harsh but:

Code: [Select]
Are you aware that Winternals the Avast! AV software for their ERD product?

No I'm not aware of that. And the reason is very simple: it is not true.

Trust me, I would know about that. In fact, I'm responsible for this whole project.

So either you happened to be an victim of a very bad joke or something else is fishy here. That said, I'm in no way suggesting you be a thief or whatever, I'm just saying that it is illegal to have the avast! (BART CD version) on an ERD Commander disk. That's all...

Sorry if that sounds offensive to you...

Thanks
Vlk

« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:05:41 PM by Vlk »

jgalt

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 05:54:35 AM »
VLK and Igor. Point taken. I went to the Winternals site looking for details on software components. I didn't see Avast listed. So I will gingerly wipe the egg from my face. My apologies.

I will ask our staff about the origin of this disk. We insist on a fully licensed company. We are Symantec AV.

I'm just trying to save my buddy's PC from what looks like a boot sector virus.  I can't get the Win98 boot disk to see an XP NTFS volume so I can scan the system drive with AV ware. And therefore I tried the ERD disk because I could see the volume.