Author Topic: avast Internet Security - cannot do RDP (remote desktop)  (Read 37339 times)

Pedro Hin

avast Internet Security - cannot do RDP (remote desktop)
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
AIS v 5.0.462, Windows XP Pro SP3, I have RDP port redirected from 3389 to 3390 via a registry setting in order to allow access to a 2nd PC through my router. ...but all of that was set up long ago, and hasn't changed.

Since installing AIS 5, I can no longer remote in to my PC. I have tried setting exclusions.
I have set firewall slider to 'Home / low risk zone' and even tried adding port 3390 under 'expert settings' , 'packet rules'.

I have even disabled permanent AIS firewall, and still cannot remote in.

What am I missing

Pedro Hin

Re: avast Internet Security - cannot do RDP (remote desktop)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »
I went ahead and changed the RDP port back to 3389 (the default) on my PC, rebooted, and no change. I still cannot even get to it on the LAN.

As a PC tech who works for a company who is also a reseller of Avast!, I would like to try to figure this problem out without simply uninstall/reinstall. The customer's perception is that if I work for a reseller, that we are also somehow a fountain of knowledge on everything we sell :)

I have also discovered that I can see this computer listed on my local workgroup, but can't browse into any of my shares anymore.

Pedro Hin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
ok, I uninstalled, rebooted, ran the clean uninstaller, rebooted, reinstalled, updated.

Still no RDP or file sharing.

I added rules -- see attached image to see if I did it right.

I will probably just uninstall the firewall part, since i have never been a big fan of software firewalls anyway.

Pedro Hin

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
well, I uninstalled the firewall option (add/remove programs ,, change ,, take checkmark out of firewall ,, reboot) Avast! tells me that I am not fully protected, and I still cannot connect.

Do I need to uninstall the entire application and leave the firewall option out?

...let's see...

Pedro Hin

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
Yup, removing the firewall option under 'change application' is really no different than selecting 'stop' from within the user interface. The only thing I have to say about that is to not even put the option there when it doesn't do anything, unless it is one of those unavoidable side-effects of the Windows Installer service.

I went ahead and cleaned Avast! out by the roots and reinstalled without the firewall service. To a technician like me, it feels like defeat, but I need to get into this PC remotely when I am out and about. Perhaps I will revisit this later when I become more familiar with the whole AIS suite.

What still puzzles me is that 'stopping' the firewall service seemed to really not stop it at all.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:47:19 PM by Pedro Hin »

roladoor

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:38 AM »
Try This

1. Open avast user interface
2. Click on Fire Wall (High Light)
3. Click on expert settings
4. Click on Packet Rules and add port details etc

5. tick box - Internet Connection Sharing Mode

you should be able to use remote desktop

Good Luck

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:12:54 AM »
Try This
Good Luck

Thanks for your input, roladoor.
But the thread you replied to is way outdated...!!!! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0