Author Topic: Process Virtualization of Browsers  (Read 3405 times)

NetbookJCT

Process Virtualization of Browsers
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:41:43 AM »
So the whole sandbox thing is pretty cool, but what happens with layers of processes? I can use process virtualization on Chrome, but then my Flash plugin will not work. Also, I just read that Chrome already uses process virtualization to keep it from crashing when its plugins crash. Is there a way that I can use process virtualization on Chrome and still use Flash? Is the threat on websites more likely to come through the plugin or the browser?

Keeshin

Re: Process Virtualization of Browsers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
This is my question, in a nut shell.  I'm thinking that the virtualization would be great for my mother's PC, and I understand keeping Flash out, but on the other hand that's not doable for her.

Is it possible to make Flash accessible in the sandboxed browser? Or would that be too much of a "back door" to access the rest of the system in spite of being sandboxed?

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:51:44 PM »
This is due to the incompatibility between virtualized Chrome browser and flash player. I haven't noticed it affects other web browsers but Chrome. We'll try to fix it asap, thanks.

Keeshin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:32:30 AM »
This is due to the incompatibility between virtualized Chrome browser and flash player. I haven't noticed it affects other web browsers but Chrome. We'll try to fix it asap, thanks.
In regards to Flash not being present, this also occurs in Firefox.  Firefox crashed a couple of times in a row when it attempted to load Flash (on YouTube) when it was being virtualized, though it didn't crash again after these two issues.  Afterward it behaved and displayed the "get plugin" box.

baugmo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
Obviously the relatively new virtualization feature can be problematic in some situations, but Firefox does not have the same issue as Chrome. I'm not having any problems with Flash (including on YouTube) with virtualized Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7.

Keeshin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »
Obviously the relatively new virtualization feature can be problematic in some situations, but Firefox does not have the same issue as Chrome. I'm not having any problems with Flash (including on YouTube) with virtualized Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7.

I read this comment and decided to give Firefox another spin through the sandbox and it's now working as it should, so I don't know what caused Flash to not work in my previous experience.  After I had the crash problem in virtualized FF I uninstalled flash and installed the 10.1 beta, which is what I'm now running.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
FYI the current Pre-Release build also fixes some Process Virtualization bugs :

- various improvements in the avast! sandbox

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0

Greetz, Red.

Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )