Author Topic: On line banking and share buying. How safe if use the Avast V5 (free version)  (Read 10519 times)

hkamsofficer

Avast fans, what is your comment regarding on line banking / share buying by using Avast Version 5 (free version)?

doktornotor

Avast fans, what is your comment regarding on line banking / share buying by using Avast Version 5 (free version)?

Well... as a good measure, get sandboxie (free version is enough for what you need) and use the sandboxed browser for banking and similar needs. That way, you'll have a clean browser every time you restart it.

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
remember buy avast 5 professional,i am kidding
use key scrambler and check if the connection is safe and use good firewall
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

rdmaloyjr

Use private tab or private window in Opera.

Hally

Hi  :)

I agree with rdmaloyjr   :D

Use private tab or private window in Opera.

I just always make sure I use - In Private Browsing
IE8 - Firefox - Opera .. All have their own version of it  ;)
I've never tried Chrome... But that probably does too!
That Way...
Your computer doesn't keep a record of where you've been - & - What you've been doing!  8)

Hally

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:19:57 PM by Hally »

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Avast Free e MBAM is fine for online banking, stocks......since I have been doing it for a few years now with no problems.......it would also depend upon how secure is your bank’s website?

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

hkamsofficer

;D
Hi fans, thanks

Please advice a bit more of In Private browsing , thanks

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Private browsing is a type of browsing which don't save any record of what you did on the internet!
After you close the browser, everything you've done is deleted :)

That's all and its very simple!

doktornotor

Private browsing is a type of browsing which don't save any record of what you did on the internet!
After you close the browser, everything you've done is deleted :)

Yes... which brings us back to the  point the in-private browsing is kinda useless when your browser is infected in the first place, such as that you have a keylogger, bad addon/BHO or whatever similar running there or whatnot. Hence, I'd kinda suggest moving back to the idea of having a dedicated instance of sandbox for browser used for sensitive purposes. (It can wipe the sandbox on terminating the browser as well and so will be always clean, rendering all the in-private fluff unneeded.)

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Ya beware of malwares in your computer first!

doktornotor

Ya beware of malwares in your computer first!

Yeah, but tell that to the people who happilly keep filling their banking info on phishing websites, open any "funny" attachment that lands in their mailbox and run on XP w/ admin account.  ;D Also, the point here is - AVs by their nature are always one step behind the malware. The sandbox stuff adds another layer of protection here, no reason not to use it for something so critical like online banking, especially when the functionality is free.

Hermite15

The sandbox stuff adds another layer of protection here, no reason not to use it for something so critical like online banking, especially when the functionality is free

browser related >>> sandboxing will never protect you from such online threats ::) ... from exploits attempting to gain access to the rest of your data on your PC yes, but from cross-scripting etc...while you're providing private information on the net, the sandbox there will be as useful as an umbrella during a tsunami. Private browsing's still worse... protects from nothing except from the cops if needed ;D, ie would prevent from finding "sensitive" browsing data on the hdd, as it gets loaded in RAM only (history, cache, cookies...), and that's it. Your IP's still caught on the web sites you visit ;D, and the private data you provide is as vulnerable to online attacks as usual.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:29:39 PM by Logos »

elfpattaya

My Bank recommended I download Trusteer Rapport is this any good.

Offline -Genesis-

I agree with logos sandboxie wont protect you from online threats.

Here's my tips.

A simple way but you need very strict on your bank accounts.. In a way no Downloads unfamiliar software and no browsing unfamiliar sites. Avoid also Flash Drive insertion.

1. Fresh format OS with fully updated Windows Update.
2. Download Mozilla Firefox. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

3. Install Avast Free. http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

4. Install MBAM Free. http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux

5. Install PC Tools Firewall Plus. http://www.pctools.com/firewall/
Note: Allow Avast and MBAM to update.

6. Use Avast and MBAM Free to scan your system. (If its clean? you can log in to your bank accounts.)

All of these are Free.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

Hermite15

I would add http://noscript.net/ for Firefox ;)