Author Topic: A New Java Flaw  (Read 15576 times)

YoKenny

Re: A New Java Flaw
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »
I also use JavaRa
JavaRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Simply select "Check for Updates" or "Remove Older Version" to begin. JavaRa is free under the GNU GPL version two.
http://raproducts.org/javara.html

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
@ Chris Thomas:

edit: may be you actually already uninstalled the old version (s) and install the new one. Then the alert just comes from the fact that you didn't manually delete the old java deployment files in as said Firefox plugins folder.

Fixed ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
I never do an on-line install of JAVA, I always download the off-line installation file.

You don't have to uninstall the old version of JAVA, from some time ago the JAVA update removed the old version.

What you most certainly 'have to do' is to close all browsers before running the JAVA update/installation, I have done that for a while now and the old JAVA plug-in isn't seen in firefox, see image. A search for npdeployJava.dll also reveals file not found, so it is removing that if it was present.

So I don't know why this is happening to you
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
@ David

I thought I had updated. But your above post made me recheck the version and it is was still 19. I was so careless to have believed that I updated to version 20. But I did an update from the inbuilt updater. But I don't know how come it is still version 19.

I did an offline install and it is now version 20

I also didn't quote Logos fully.

Now it is really fixed

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 04:17:11 PM »

So I don't know why this is happening to you

happened to me too, browsers closed ;) >>> after an online update, remnants of the old version were still there in program files as well as plugins in browsers. But you may be right about the behavior of the full install file. The issue is also that Java doesn't mind several versions installed at the same time. I don't know why they allow that, guessing here that any version is backward compatible with sites running older versions...just guessing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
a. I never do an on-line install of JAVA, I always download the off-line installation file.
b. You don't have to uninstall the old version of JAVA, from some time ago the JAVA update removed the old version.

a. I also use the downloaded installer, as i blocked all java updates at first.
b. True, but somehow seems not to work with the 6.20 update...
maybe because it's an out of order quick-fix..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Sesame

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
a. I also use the downloaded installer, as i blocked all java updates at first.
b. True, but somehow seems not to work with the 6.20 update...
maybe because it's an out of order quick-fix..??
Check the version number of your Java Deployment Toolkit plugin for Firefox, which should be 6.0.200.2.

As in Chris Thomas' case, on one of our PCs, java failed to update itself properly.  If you don't have the proper version, try uninstall/reinstalling the update manually or JavaRa, which should solve the problem.

Offline dan323

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
I got hit with a java trojan on my other laptop. I bugger went right thru AVG and wiped out all the bookmarks in IE8 and FF3.6 . I just got Avast 5 pro and installed it on all 3 of my puters. Mine is Windows 7,the desktop is XP and the infected laptop is Vista. Once Avast was installed and updated I did a Boot scan and deleted the trojan. Now all the bookmarks are back in IE8. I have not checked FF3 but I assume there also back. Avast rocks. AVG let it right on thru. Oh well I guess you can't catch them all.