Author Topic: New to avast! New version blocks internet.  (Read 10607 times)

Wooster

New to avast! New version blocks internet.
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »
Hello, everyone, I'm new to avast!  I'm helping some older friends with their computer.  It's an older PIII laptop running a fresh install of Windows 2000 SP4.  We were running avast! Free, but decided to get the avast! Internet Security with a 2 year license.  avast! is one of the few products that even offers an anti-virus for W2K.

So...

Installation went fine, product installed fine, license inserted fine.

Problem 1: When installed there is NO internet access.  Period.  Nothing.  I have DSL at home with Ethernet, so to install I used that.  NO internet access until I uncheck the "avast! NDIS" binding in Networking settings.  Then I could connect with ethernet.  During the blackout time, the Intel Pro II interface program showed all was connected, although there was no packet information being exchanged.

Problem 2:  These folks can only get dial-up in their area.  There is NO internet access while AIS is installed.  I tried numerous times to adjust the settings in Networking, but to no avail.  When trying to connect, error 720 comes up stating that the server cannot agree on a PPP setting with the computer.  Clearly, it's a connection port issue with avast!  After uninstalling the program, internet access is restored, albeit unprotected.

Edit: I need to add that I also tried numerous settings and adjustments with AIS, i.e., the firewall, etc., but to no avail.

I now have two options:  Get AIS fixed to work with this, or get a refund and resume using the Free version, with which we had NO problems.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Wooster
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:10:50 PM by Wooster »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: New to avast! New version blocks internet.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »
and resume using the Free version, with which we had NO problems
was that avast 4.8 or avast 5

Wooster

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
avast! Internet Security 5.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:32:55 PM »
The free version with no problem before avast internet security.....was that avast 4.8 or 5

Wooster

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:39:36 PM »
I have no clue.  However, I've read a number of other posts/topics and believe I need to try to run uninstallers for the free and version 5.  The software was run with avast! Free installed, but it initiated an uninstall previous to the installation of version 5.  In addition, no install problems were observed.

Be that as it may, I did use the W2K add/remove programs feature to remove version 5, but I'll run BOTH uninstallers just to be sure.  I'll have to do this tonight - I'm out of time right now.  I'll then reinstall version 5 and try both the Ethernet and dial-up and check the results.

I'll let you know what I find...

Wooster

Wooster

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:27:24 AM »
Well, it didn't work.  I used the uninstall for AIS 5.0, but could not find an uninstall for the free version.  I reinstalled - smooth installation, licensing, etc.

I do NOT have internet with the "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Driver" checked in Networking properties.  I uncheck it, works fine.  Dial-up will not work, either.  I get error 720: Failed attempt - could not agree on PPP control protocols.

This is getting very frustrating.

Wooster

Wooster

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:39 AM »
The plot thickens...

In settings/troubleshooting/redirect settings, I unchecked the "Ignore Local communication."  I now can connect to the internet with Ethernet ONLY.   Still no dial-up.

Also, I CANNOT Update anything avast! - no program, no engine and virus defs.

Wooster

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:18:01 AM »
Great.  Another problem.

On bootup:  ASWREG~1.EXE - Entry point not found.

Wonderful.

Wooster

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 05:10:44 AM »
OK, it just updated the virus defs.  I wonder why it won't manual update?  Or, perhaps, it just "hangs" when you try to update if there is no update.  But surely they would write a message telling you that it was current.

Other problems - any ideas?  Booting up tonight did not cause the "ASWREG~1.EXE - Entry point not found" error.

Wooster

Wooster

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:43 AM »
ANYONE?  I cannot connect by dial-up when avast! is installed.  Ideas?

Wooster

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:02 AM »
In my network adapters I have:

avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #2
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #2
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #4
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #4
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #5
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #5
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #6
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #6
avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport #7
Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Wan Miniport (IP) - avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport

Should I have that many miniport drivers?

Wooster

Wooster

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:38:32 AM »
Well, I haven't heard back from technical support (over 24 hours now), and no one seems to be capable of helping me, so I dug and dug and found the answer from linda908.  They were having difficulty connecting to the internet with W2K, also.

"But we did find the answer - after consulting with Avast tech support, they tell me the firewall is not compatible with Windows 2000. (Even though on the website it lists Win 2000 under System Requirements).  So I guess we'll have to look around for something that will run on this PC."

Seems that SOMEONE should remember this and tell avast! not to advertise what they can't deliver!

Wooster

Offline Soure73

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
Well, I haven't heard back from technical support (over 24 hours now), and no one seems to be capable of helping me, so I dug and dug and found the answer from linda908.  They were having difficulty connecting to the internet with W2K, also.

"But we did find the answer - after consulting with Avast tech support, they tell me the firewall is not compatible with Windows 2000. (Even though on the website it lists Win 2000 under System Requirements).  So I guess we'll have to look around for something that will run on this PC."

Seems that SOMEONE should remember this and tell avast! not to advertise what they can't deliver!

Wooster

Hi, download the latest build of Avast5 IS(5.0.507), it apears to solve the firewall compatibility with Windows 2000.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:45:19 AM by Soure73 »
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

Wooster

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 06:18:16 AM »
It does!  :)  I connect with Ethernet and Dial-up.  Very nice.

It eliminates the firewall, correct?  I don't see any of the NDIS drivers in networking anymore.

I guess the program is now similar to the "pro" version5.0, right?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:19:53 AM by Wooster »

Offline Soure73

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
It does!  :)  I connect with Ethernet and Dial-up.  Very nice.

It eliminates the firewall, correct?  I don't see any of the NDIS drivers in networking anymore.

I guess the program is now similar to the "pro" version5.0, right?

I don't think so... the firewall is still there but it works now with Windows 2000, are you sure you instaled Avast Internet Security(5.0.507) or the free version?
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit