Author Topic: Immunet 2.0 <<First Screenshot ever on any outside forum>>  (Read 31191 times)

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
Immunet 2.0 <<First Screenshot ever on any outside forum>>
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:38:26 PM »
Friends,

Immunet 2.0 is going to be released on April 25 with the RC being on middle of May

:-X

Edited: Don't blame me if the dates go wrong but as far as today it is on April 15
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:56:09 PM by Chris Thomas »

disPlay

Wow. Their GUI is pretty nice.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Upcoming Features in short form

1. The UI is now fully featured and includes many of the items people here in the Community have asked for. As many things as we could get into this release are there.

2. The product is now more acutely community focused and I'll leave it at that. There are some groundwork features in there that are not present in other AV today and we are excited about them.

3. Our cloud engines have been overhauled. ETHOS in 2.0 is fully turned up in a more aggressive setting and there is a new cloud engine called SPERO. Over all our cloud engines (all 3) jump our efficacy in 2.0 much, much higher.

4. We will be offering an 'Offline' engine tentatively called TETRA which will be available in the Premium offering. Oh, and we will have a Premium offering
which will offer additional features such as Offline Scanning, rootkit support (more in depth than the free version etc).

So 2.0 will be a new face on many of the technologies we have been baking in the beta. It will have a Free product which will always be free and a Premium product which will be commercial. The model looks much like all the other Freemium AV companies in that regard.

Our 2.0 Free product will still support 'side-by-side' installs with other AV products. I am not sure our Premium version will, I am still working that out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
What I really don't like is that the core protection is being migrated from the free to the paid version.
The rootkit protection.
I really don't like it. You grow up, create a community... and then, you need to pay. Bad movement.
You'll say this will happen sooner or later. Ok. But still not a good movement.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I am rather disappointed about that :(

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
@ Tech

@ Shiw

I am also discouraged about it

When I had a chat , he told me that rootkit feature is not full fledged in the free version because they have some licensing cost on it which they have to pay

And that they will try to make it free in the future builds

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
OR!

Go back to Threatfire the free version does have rootkit protection IF I'm no mistaken, and what else is not free so far ??? before they release it on the 25th maybe.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:28:07 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
It will also not have a new cloud engine called SPERO

There is rootkit support but it is not that deep in the free version

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Could you please tell me more about this so call SPERO the new cloud engine ??? ??? ??? and how much differences in the free version

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:07:25 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
QUOTE:

SPERO is entirely different. Both engines do detection in entirely separate ways. SPERO is actually much lighter and faster than ETHOS and can be more effective on some threat families. Both engines are 'broad detectors' meaning we do not have to the sample here that they are convicting. SPERO actually comes before ETHOS in our engine stack.

The free version has ETHOS

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Immunet 2.0 on April 15 <<First Screenshot ever on any outside forum>>
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
Guys, I question the meaning of this thread here on the avast forum.
With all respect, discussing competing products may be OK but only if it's not presented as some kind of sales pitch.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
@ Vlk

We are all Immunet Free users but Avast first

We mean no harm and there is not even a link about them

EDITED:

And

Avast+Immunet = Great
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:58:06 AM by Chris Thomas »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »
Avast+Immunet = Great

Well, I don't know... What feature of Immunet is not present in avast?
Or do you just mean that two engines will (theoretically) always detect more than one...?

You know, I'm just asking... I don't have anything against Immunet per se (unlike Hitman Pro, for example, which I absolutely dislike for what they're doing).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:17 AM »
@ Vlk

Of course Avast is the best :P

Immunet is just install and forget and don't need virus definition updates

It can be installed beside Avast and other AV without any conflict

It is their ETHOS module

It scans and uploads unknown files to their cloud

And if it is a malware they will automatically protect every other users within 2 weeks maximum

It also detects many malware that other AV's miss

I think Immunet uses many different engines in their cloud infrastructure

I should ask you a question like this

Why do Avast fans like me still have to use Malwarebytes?

The answer is the same for Immunet

Extra Precaution

QUOTE:

Any AV, no matter how good, is still missing at least half of the threats in the wild today. That is unless your testing with malware off places like malwaredomainslist or getting your samples from AV vendors, at which point they will likely do better because they've been processed, crawled etc.

As for the FW that's a non-issue for the most part. Ingress control was helpful when network worms made use of easily accessible, externally available, services which had vulnerabilities.

Since XP SP3 the attack surface has been eroded massively. It's still an issue but not one that cannot be sorted out with the default MS firewall. Egress control I suspect has more value but again it's limited. At best it will tell you have an infection. If you get exposed to a threat today it's generally through a method which bypasses your firewall such as browsing, file sharing etc.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
I guess it is like a cover up!
For threats which are missed by avast :)