Author Topic: Everything works great, a couple questions  (Read 2530 times)

lucid717

Everything works great, a couple questions
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
I want to start out by saying that I'm loving this product so far.  I just installed Homev5 yesterday.  I used 4 and this puppy seems lighter.  It's just a really tight, well designed, streamlined product.  No memory leaks and a great cache.  Just a few questions:

-  In Mail heuristics under the white-space checking, what would you recommend to set the "Count" at?  I'm thinking of lowering it.

-  What web based email (other than Google) would work well with the Mail Guard?  I've been meaning to make a new email address and this will weigh into my decision... or do I have to use a client (i.e. Outlook/Thunderbird) to make the guard work properly?  I've heard that it won't scan ones that use SSL.  Is this accurate?  If I do use Thunderbird could somebody recommend settings for me?... and are there any settings in Thunderbird I would have to tweak to make it work also?  Right now I'm leaning toward a Hotmail/Thunderbird combo.

-  Will checking the box for UTorrent in the P2P shield still cause conflicts with the program?... or has that been remedied since?  I notice the box still isn't checked by default (as with the last version), so I'm guessing it's for a good reason.  Are there any other measures within the P2P guard I could take to make UTorrent safer without throttling it?  If not I'll just uninstall the module, as it is the only P2P I use.

Just in case here is some info. on my setup:  XP Home SP3, Avast5 Home, Comodo Firewall w/Defense+, Spyware Blaster & Spybot S&D immunization.  

Thank you kindly in advance for any help.  

Edit:  Another compliment... great help section, which I'm sorry to say I didn't stumble upon until now.  It answered a couple of my questions, which I'll delete from this post.  Some of my question about the Mail Shield are probably in there too, but it's a bit confusing to me.  Thought somebody might be able to explain it better.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:56:10 AM by lucid717 »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Everything works great, a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
All Mail Shield settings apply only to the use of a mail client.

I recommend Thunderbird 3 - works like a charm with me.

Avast will scan SSL/TLS mails. You set your email client to "no ssl" and standard ports and avast will provide ssl/tls and encrypt the mail and forward it to your mail-provider. So your mail is still ssl/tls protected:

mail client ---- no ssl ----> Avast MailShield ---- ssl ----> mail server (and of course vice versa)

You can use any mail provider you like, in the worst case you have to adept the settings in Avast | Mail Shield | Expert Settings | SSL Accounts.

UTorrent and P2P: you have to try that on your machine. Some complaints are here, but in my opinion (and in that of the devs) it is a very specific thing that depends very much on your unique hard- and software configuration. I believe it will work great in at least 95 % of all cases, given the number of users worldwide and the few complaints in this forum.

Hope I could help.

Just go ahead, install thunderbird and come back here, if problems occur. I'll gladly try to help on.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

lucid717

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »

Hope I could help.

You provided solutions to every single one of my queries.  It doesn't get any more helpful than that.

I'll call on you if I run into any more snags.

Thanks!

lucid717

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
All Mail Shield settings apply only to the use of a mail client.

I recommend Thunderbird 3 - works like a charm with me.

UTorrent and P2P: you have to try that on your machine. Some complaints are here, but in my opinion (and in that of the devs) it is a very specific thing that depends very much on your unique hard- and software configuration. I believe it will work great in at least 95 % of all cases, given the number of users worldwide and the few complaints in this forum.

Just go ahead, install thunderbird and come back here, if problems occur. I'll gladly try to help on.

To follow up:  No problems whatsoever with UTorrent and the P2P shield.  No conflicts and down/upload speeds are identical to what they were prior.  Installed Homev5 on a friends PC, same deal.  I'm willing to bet that "95%" figure is more like 99%. 

Have Thunderbird3 running my Aim mail, and it integrates seamlessly through the Mail Shield, as you said. 

I am really loving this product so far.  Thank you for all the help.