Author Topic: Avast 5 service not starting causing hang  (Read 2967 times)

Mr_Fast

Avast 5 service not starting causing hang
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »
Hey All.

Hope i didn't write to much text, but trying to give as much info as possible.

Recently updated from Avast 4.8 to avast 5, and everything seemed to be running fine. was running an older version of Comodo Firewall (updated but before the introduced their Sandbox Settings).

i have another machine which is running Avast 4.8, an due to some error i had to reinstall the Comodo Firewall on that one, thats where i noticed they had implemented a new feature the Sandbox. After seeing it running for a few days without problems(Avast 4.8 and the newest Comodo Firewall) i figured it'd be time to update Comodo on my other machine as well, the one with Avast 5.

Everything was running fine for the first day or 2. then suddenly my machine would hang at windows startup, right after the windows 7 logo, i was giving a mouse courser and nothing else, though it was possible to open taskmanager as well. but no desktop, or taskbar.

I booted into safemode, and no problems getting in there. hmm. first i figured, since comodo is the last program to be updated I'd try to disable its startup service and reboot..
Windows still hanging. rebooted into safemode again, re-enabled comodo Firewall, and disabled Avast services. rebooted, and now i got into the computer as normal.

rebooted into safemode again, and re-enabled Avast, and now the computer was hanging again.. i opened taskmanager and under services i could see that Avast Antivirus service was set as Starting, but it just never did, Hench hanging all the other processes on the computer.

Lang story short,

The computer with Avast 5 and newest Comodo Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+ is causing hang problems after about a day. (dunno why but the first couple of reboots right after installation is going fine)

The computer with Avast 4.8 and newest Comodo Firewall with Maximum Proactive Defense+ is not having any problems at all.

(Both computers running W7 64bit)

So for now I'm back to 4.8.

Kimina

Re: Avast 5 service not starting causing hang
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
I'm having similar problems. Upgraded from Avast 4 to 5 and since then can't use PC. Populating the desktop suddenly takes 4/5 minutes and then none of the icons work - you click, get the hour glass and then nothing happens.

I can get to Control Panel but again when you click on 'Uninstall software', it just goes to the hour glass and then nothing happens so I can't uninstall it.  Have tried right clicking on the Avast icon on bottom right of screen but no list comes up.

Have PC searched on 'Avast 5' but it won't let me delete it as it says it's in operation - or the disc is full and to uninstall softwared via 'Uninstall Software' - which doesn't work!

Can't get emails/internet/Word doc's etc etc... and meant to be on a 6 week on-line course.

Help please - in simple languauge as I'm no ICT techie!

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast 5 service not starting causing hang
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Use this first: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Download the latest build here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0
Install & enjoy... ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0