Author Topic: Upgrade t0 5.0  (Read 2645 times)

sscor1

Upgrade t0 5.0
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
I have Avast 4 installed and running. Just received a message that I need to renew my subscription and upgrade to 5. I paid for this and received the file with the license. But when I tried to install the licence key, Windows reported that it could not open the file and needed to know what software created it. When I told Avast help about this problem, I got a standard message that I needed to install the program before I could open the file with the license. Will I cause a problem if I install release 5 while 4 is still running? I feel that Avast help did not really respond to my question so I am trying this forum. If a member can't answer,  I will try the Avast people again. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Upgrade t0 5.0
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »
Is the file license.avastlic ? If so then install Avast 5 and then double click the licence file

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
I did try to install version 5 into version 4 and its did great and no bugs at all in Win7 64 bits and XP 32 bits. But if you dont want to take chance and remove 4 with the removals tool then go ahead.

The only thing i would see that it isnt removed is in the Windows/Temp and Local (Hidden files) that the _avast4_ will be there. U can manually delete the temp as its wont cause anything to your pc.

But its not really a big deal but some time good thing to clean some temp. As its use alot mb and gb for your pc. So its a waste of space.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »
Yes, you need to uninstall version 4 to use version 5.
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.