Author Topic: officaly giving up avast 5 IS and trying avast 5 pro out  (Read 5760 times)

nat1

officaly giving up avast 5 IS and trying avast 5 pro out
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
after days of it NOT working (see all other post I made) I came to the conclusion that aavast 5 internet security (5.0.499) is faulty and not working. Hell - it can't even install itself on one of my systems! Why did the marketing department push out this product?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: officaly giving up avast 5 IS and trying avast 5 pro out
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:39:24 PM »
1. if you're not happy with the product there's nothing easier than ask for a refund.
2. if you'd like to continue using the product (make it work on your system), it would be helpful to sum up the facts for us. I was reading through your previous posts but I'm afraid I'm a bit confused.

Let's focus on one specific problem - e.g. "unable to install 5.0.499" - and try to fix it (btw 5.0.499 is now superseded by 5.0.504).

What does it mean, "unable to install", exactly?

Thank you
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nat1

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »
What does it mean, "unable to install", exactly?

well - it means just that. I install it and it goes to a reboot to finish up the install. After the reboot it is back to not being able to start up XP pro normally or save m mode will give me a blue error. If I choose "restore last good install ..." XP boots and avast looks like it installed. Little icon on bottom but with a red x.

starting avast and clicking on the fix now just prompts that the process in not running - or can't be found or something....

Now win xp asked me to update the OS and after doing this I can no longer boot anything from Windows at all and have to recover the lost configuration manually - not a lot of fun - and still no sorry for what you are going through from anyone!

some time later:
windows is not booting up any more - tried manual recovery and it is not working any more. HELP!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:43:37 PM by nat1 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
Please check the folder c:\windows\minidump. Does it contain any recent files?
If so, please send a few of them (the latest one, preferably) to my email address (click the envelope icon below my picture to do so).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nat1

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
OK - was able to get my computer back but now XP is suggesting to install update (service pack 3 ... and many more) I started doing that and sure enough I am back to not being able to boot my computer ate all 

24 hours later

OK I am giving up - I am now installing Ubuntu 10.04 on it VirtualBox on that Windows 7 and if I still feel like it avast 5 IS ... sorry for all the trouble I caused. I hate to support MS any more then necessary...  I hope this will be may last OS I have to pay for.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:42:55 AM by nat1 »

patrick | kcirtap

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
Hello Thread Starter and Alwil-Software!

I just registered in order to tell you something about this issue, which is well known and seems to be random to different users on different machines year after year and by many different Internet Security Software.

My reply goes to nat1 but Alwil should have an eye on it as well:

ref 1.: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c29f45179af56588aac91cda550bc01e&topic=57922.0
ref 2.: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c29f45179af56588aac91cda550bc01e&topic=58420.0
ref 3.: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=c29f45179af56588aac91cda550bc01e&topic=58420.msg492458#msg492458
(This are just some reference links the thread starter and other people already tryed out to solve the problem.
And ref. 3 is a solution that may work and I tried but didn't worked out for me years ago, so don't scream to loud too mate, I guess you have'nt had that problem at all)

The description nat1 and other guys have made so far reminds me of problems I experienced in the years around 2000~2002 when I bought Norton Internet Security Software.

I read some threads in this forum related to the problem ISSoftware blocks any connection to the Internet or even in some cases to the router itself. And every advice which was here given I tried myself years ago too!
I must mention I regularly don't use dual, tripple or how many OS's are bootable on my computers. I only use one OS and I'm just fine with it.

As I said I could recall every problem, solution tries and where they led. I was able to follow those which were described here.
I could be wrong but there was no solution found even by Symantec. Nowadays everytime I talk to people who had the same issues there's no one who wants to use any ISS anymore. All of them are using different programs for their own individual internet activities. And here in my country IT people have a dictum: Don't buy an all-purpose-IS-program because sometimes it leads to a total block of your machine and there's nothing you can do.

I had error-messages, failures, blocks, won't-start-problems even in safe-mode and certainly BSOD's! Although I tried several reinstalls of my OS, of ISS, I enabled ISS settings or disabled, with or without firewall, clean installs and whatever you can imagine there must be a solution!
I tried years ago because I had time to do all those time consuming things, but I put about 12 days each ~ 12 hrs of work in it. But I didn't manage to solve this issue. Not only I did.

And the oddest of all was I disabled the whole ISS, by deselecting autostart options and all other program functions, restart and everything seemed to run pretty good. 4 restarts later -restart by restart machine went slower- and my OS was dead. It didn't start up welcome screen nor blank screen between Bios post...only BSOD everytime with different and absurd messages of what has caused the failure and all in all there was no thread.

Therefore I'll give you advice configure your machine respectively your OS whatever it is with different programs to get your own personal security depending on your prefered usage. There is no universal program that gives you perfect security.
If Avast IS or any other ISS works for you - bingo! For me not, thank you.
I honestly respect what AV-Companies try to give all of us - thank you all for your hard work and efforts to protect us.

I tried several AV-Softmachines and Avast! is my prefered atm. And they're going to add (hopefully ;) ) a sound-volume-regulator and for some german speaking people the nice swiss-speaking guy who reminded us with his perfect dialect so often that Avast is updated ;D, that'll be great (post this on the wishlist later).

So what I want to tell Alwil Software, if there's one out there. Please be careful of what your think tank is trying to do.
There are several peoples out here, who had bad experiences with the multipurpose idea and they don't come back to that product where the issues began.

I like and I recommend everyone to try the trial versions and if satisfied buy Avast! Antivirus Pro especially to native german speakers. Avast is a very good AV program and it was inconspicuous in need of computer resouces (just installed version 5 - can't tell if it's still status quo but I believe so)!

Best regards!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:01:10 AM by patrick | kcirtap »

ywdt

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »
Hey Patrick,

Got BSOD at boot time with booth XP Pro & Win7 Ultimate x64. It was a pain in the a$$ to recover and every problem comes from the Firewall part of Avast 5 IS.
Look here : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58029.0 & here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58420.15.
Reinstalling Avast & disabling the firewall (before any update & reboot) helped to solve the problem but since i bough this (2y subscription) especially for the firewall it really piss me off.
Beside that I posted a ticked thru support a few days ago and did not get ANY answers. (BYT-692469).
I even uploaded a "minidump" file to their FTP, asking if they had found this and yet not answer.
I hope they will give us some answers & solutions quick. And after all, I expect some compensation from Awill side.
When I buy i product, I expect this one to work like advertised. Nothing more, nothing less.

So a bit a feedback should be appropriate because I'm loosing my trust in this company.

I had some more question : can i install avast pro 5 with the same licence file that avast 5 IS ?

Thanks for your reading,

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:54:07 PM by ywdt »

patrick | kcirtap

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »
Yupp I understand, as I said a lot of work! And Norton IS was way more brutal.

Would be cool if alwil would contact you private to solve your problem.

I'm sure they're working on a solution. Be patient.