Author Topic: Avast won't scan my Outlook Express Mail  (Read 17990 times)

Ringfinger

Avast won't scan my Outlook Express Mail
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:33:49 PM »
I use Avast free edition.  How come it won't scan my mail now? I had problems last month with software changing POP servers from mail.adelphia.blah blah blah to IP addresses.   I think it was Avast scanning something somehow.  I am not sure.

Got that fixed, but it seems that it is not scanning my e-mail anymore. I used to get this little pop-up in the lower right corner saying what it was doing, now I don't. Can anyone that uses this software help? Please?

When the POp server and SMTP server were set to an IP address, I was asked for a password all the time and the username was all screwed up.  Bottom line, it now says it is waiting for a process to begin when I look at the settings in the software.  It is as if Outlook has not began according to Avast even though I am reading my mail.  The settings are set to scan inbound mail in Outlook.

Please help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast won't scan my Outlook Express Mail
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
Ringfinger, wellcome.

The best you can do now is:

a) if you use Outlook Express:

1. Close all your email programs
2. Run Mail Protection Wizard (see Start Menu > All Programs > avast! antivirus)
3. Remove all protection
4. Run Mail Protection Wizard again and choose 'All accounts' protection even in the future.
5. Configure avast to scan both Inbound and Outbound Mail
    You can add a note into the email messages and see an icon on the system tray
6. Open OE and see what you get
7. If you not succeed, ctrl+alt+del and see if there is a file called ashMaiSv.exe running.
    Let us know...

b) if you use MS Outlook

Just configure avast! pluggin to run (Outllook/Exchange provider)

Hope you'll be a happy avast! user like us!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 12:18:40 AM »
I use Avast free edition.  How come it won't scan my mail now? I had problems last month with software changing POP servers from mail.adelphia.blah blah blah to IP addresses.   I think it was Avast scanning something somehow.  I am not sure.

Got that fixed, but it seems that it is not scanning my e-mail anymore. I used to get this little pop-up in the lower right corner saying what it was doing, now I don't. Can anyone that uses this software help? Please?

When the POp server and SMTP server were set to an IP address, I was asked for a password all the time and the username was all screwed up.  Bottom line, it now says it is waiting for a process to begin when I look at the settings in the software.  It is as if Outlook has not began according to Avast even though I am reading my mail.  The settings are set to scan inbound mail in Outlook.

Please help.

Actually, noyhing was screwed up like you said... avast! must change your incoming and outgoing server names in order to protect your computer. How do you think avast! mail protection would work if you don't let it do it's job ? Actually, you screwed up your settings when you changed everything avast! mail protection wizard set as it should be in the first place...

Just run avast! mail protection wizard again and let it do what needs to be done... don't forget to close Outlook Express before you start mail protection wizard...

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 12:23:54 AM »
Btw, this screenshot should show you how exactly settings should look for each account you have... of course, for every single account you most likely have different login name, but that's the form like it should look like... try to use your logic, and it will be very easy to convert that login name into each account's original login names...

Beaky

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 09:00:17 AM »
Can I just add that it is important that you reset your incomming mail, outgoing mail & account name to their original settings, you must do this first before closing Outlook Express and following Technical's instructions.  

I say this because as you have already run the Mail Protection Wizard once it may have changed these settings, so the Wizard will start the wrong information and not work...... happened to me!

Still not sure?

1. Incomming mail (pop3) & Outgoing mail (SMTP), reset these to the mail settings provided by your ISP.

2.  Make sure that you remove any text to the right of # sign in your account name and also remove the # sign.

3. Follow Technical's instructions from (a)

pancakegeorge

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 12:04:42 PM »
I've just been reading a review of Avast!:

"Very bad point: when you get the inbound mail scanning settings set up with pop and smtp servers showing 127.0.0.1 and the username showing username#pop.isp.com this does not hold. When you reboot your pc it will have returned to pop.isp.com in the pop server and 127.0.0.1 in the smtp server meaning your inbound mail is not being scanned. We had 10 attempts at this manually setting it up and through the mail protection wizard. a definite bug in the program and, as most viruses come in via email a serious one."
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review122590.html

Is this the same issue?

Has anyone using The Bat! v2 email with Avast! antivirus had any problems?

TIA

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 02:47:29 PM »
When you reboot your pc it will have returned to pop.isp.com in the pop server and 127.0.0.1 in the smtp server meaning your inbound mail is not being scanned.

Wrong. Bad installation, configuration or anything else.
avast! Mail scanning is persistent after boot and works.
User fault.

Has anyone using The Bat! v2 email with Avast! antivirus had any problems?

The Bat! has a special avast! pluggin to work properly.
It does not use Internet Mail provider.  ;)

pancakegeorge

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 03:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the info Technical.
Do you know the name of the plugin for The Bat!? I've just checked the Ritlabs website can't find any reference...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 03:45:57 PM »
The plugin is into avast! installation:
Control Panel > Add/remove > avast antivirus > Change/Remove
Choose 'Change' option on the pop-up window
Check the plugin there...

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 03:50:01 PM »
I think you have that plug in as option when you first install avast! You just have to choose it to be installed...

Ringfinger

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 03:50:55 PM »
Okay, used the wizard and it works fine now.  I don't have scan outbound mail checked, but it seems to be doing it.  Does this make sense?

I think what the problem was that instead of the account username saying xxx#mail.adelphia.net, it somehow got changed to xxx#mail.adelphia.net#blah blah blah, so that was something that happened that is fixed now.

So, should I check the box scan outbound messages or not?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 03:52:27 PM »
Can I just add that it is important that you reset your incomming mail, outgoing mail & account name to their original settings, you must do this first before closing Outlook Express and following Technical's instructions.  

I say this because as you have already run the Mail Protection Wizard once it may have changed these settings, so the Wizard will start the wrong information and not work...... happened to me!

Still not sure?

1. Incomming mail (pop3) & Outgoing mail (SMTP), reset these to the mail settings provided by your ISP.

2.  Make sure that you remove any text to the right of # sign in your account name and also remove the # sign.

3. Follow Technical's instructions from (a)

Why should anyone bother with that, when they have avast! mail protection wizard ? Just run it and choose AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE PROTECTION FROM ALL MY ACCOUNTS. It will do everything automatically, without messing anything up. After that, you can go from the scratch and protect all your accounts without any problem... works best !

Ringfinger

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 03:54:42 PM »
Now wait a minute, quick question.  Is the internet mail tab the one protecting outlook express, or is in the Outlook/Exchange tab?  Because the Outlook/Exchange tab says that it is waiting for a subsystem to start, so I imagine that means it is for the full blown Outlook, which I don't have.

The Internet mail tab shows that it is the one scanning my inbound and outbound mail through Outlook Express.  Am I right?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 03:58:28 PM »
Internet mail is for Outlook Express, not for MS Outlook... 2 totally different things...

Outlook/Exchange is for MS Outlook. It says in it's name... EXCHANGE.. it uses Exchange servers... If you don't use Outlook, just terminate that provider...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 03:59:19 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 04:00:29 PM »
Now wait a minute, quick question.  Is the internet mail tab the one protecting outlook express, or is in the Outlook/Exchange tab?  Because the Outlook/Exchange tab says that it is waiting for a subsystem to start, so I imagine that means it is for the full blown Outlook, which I don't have.

The Internet mail tab shows that it is the one scanning my inbound and outbound mail through Outlook Express.  Am I right?

Right.
Internet Mail provider = Outlook Express
Outlook/Exchange plugin (waiting for subsystem to start) = MS Outlook (full Outlook, not Express)

Edit: Sasha was fast  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:01:01 PM by Technical »