Author Topic: Avast won't scan my Outlook Express Mail  (Read 17993 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Avast won't scan my Outlook Express Mail
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 04:05:15 PM »
No matter who is faster, most important thing is to help this guy... girl... whatever, hehe... It says male in profile, and female in picture... maybe both ? Hehe... joke

Ringfinger

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 04:12:03 PM »
Iam a he, I just liked Claudia's picture.  Thanks a lot for the help.  I am up and running now!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:12:19 PM by Ringfinger »

Ringfinger

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 04:12:55 PM »
Oh, and you all are quick.  I am very happy with this forum.

Beaky

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 08:27:34 PM »
Why should anyone bother with that, when they have avast! mail protection wizard ? Just run it and choose AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE PROTECTION FROM ALL MY ACCOUNTS. It will do everything automatically, without messing anything up. After that, you can go from the scratch and protect all your accounts without any problem... works best !

Maybe I missed the point, but I thought the email accounts had been changed ..... if you just change the POP3 and SMTP settings without first using the mail protection uninstall wizard ..... running the mail protection wizard adds an extra # and text in the username field.  

ie beaky#mail.btopenworld.com#pop3.virgin.net

Once in this situation I don't believe that the mail uninstall wizard will restore the orginal user name it will just remove the right hand # and the text to the right.

I thought that this could be the source of the problem, as this is exactly what I did when I changed my ISP.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 08:49:29 PM »
I just tried what you said... I started my avast! mail protection wizard three times in a roll... nothing happened as you mentioned. I never saw anything like that...

beaky#mail.btopenworld.com#pop3.virgin.net

Of course if you changed something manualy without avast! assistance, then avast! mail protection wizards wouldn't know what are your original settings... it's not like it is artificial inteligence program or something... It just restores data that you previously left in those fields.

If you go and remove protection from all your accounts, it should just clean all fields to original state...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 10:21:56 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

techie101

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 10:15:53 PM »
From the example given, it seems that you changed ISPs and when you ran the wizard, you added a bit too much.

All Avast MPW did was then modify what was already set into the mail client with beaky#mail.btopenworld.com
beaky,

In this case, a manual configuration is usually what is needed.  The appersand (#) is appended to the email address so that Avast recognizes the difference in configuration.  It will also change the servers to 127.0.0.1 (local computer) so that all email will be directed to itself for scanning.

These types of errors are not uncommon and easily corrected.

Beaky

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2004, 12:12:58 AM »

I just tried what you said... I started my avast! mail protection wizard three times in a roll... nothing happened as you mentioned. I never saw anything like that...

Okay, I will tell you how I managed to do it!

I signed up to my new email account, but kept my user name the same. So without thinking about it too much, I changed the POP3 and SMTP settings in Outlook Express to my new ISP but did not alter anything in the Account Name Field. (I should have removed the #mail.btopenworld.com from the name)

Then I closed Outlook Express and ran the Email Protection Wizard to protect my email account. When I tried to send an email, Outlook Express would not work and I had the same prompt screen as Ringfinger did  in his orginal post.

My problem was the Email Protection Wizard had correctly altered the POP3 & SMTP settings to 127,0,0,1 but in my Account Name Field  I now had the extra # new mail account.  (#mail.btopenworld.com#virgin.net) My new ISP mail details had been added to the old ISP mail details, so obviously my email did not work.

Removing the protection from my account using the wizard did not restore the account either, don't forget originally I did not changed anything in the Account Name Field.  

Why did I not use the email protection wizard to restore the accounts in the fiirst place?  Good question probably because I didn't know enough about how the wizard worked at the time!

All this happened eighteen months ago, the problem was caused by me, I have had no problems since, all my orginal post was trying to do was help to stop a newbie making the same mistake so please give me a break!

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2004, 12:17:36 AM »
Give you a break ? For what ? Who said anything that you did something wrong ? We just tried to help with that problem... no need to feel annoyed by our posts.  ::) We all are here to try to help each other, so we tried...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 12:19:41 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Beaky

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2004, 12:37:41 AM »
Sorry, I am not annoyed, it's getting late here and its been a long day  :)

I don't have a problem, I know how it happened and who caused it me!  Out of interest, I have just tried the same again and got the same result.

You are quite right used correctly the Mail Wizard works perfectly, unfortunately some people like me manage to defeat the best of programs, usually through our ignorance of how such things work!

Well I am off to bed now, speak to you again  tomorrow ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2004, 12:48:08 AM »
No problem Beaky. I completely understand what you meant by your first post. You just tried to help because you had same problem before...

I'm glad everything is oK now.

Have a good night my friend !

Cheers !