Author Topic: New avast! Free install does not allow access to internet - SOLVED  (Read 6019 times)

central_texan

Hello, I am a consultant in central Texas and I have a new install of avast! Free 5.0 on a customer's computer. Avast! Free does not allow the system access the internet through a wireless router. I can disable avast! at the system tray and gain access to the internet. It all works fine without avast being active. We are running Windows XP through a Linksys WRT160N router over wireless. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:04:40 PM by central_texan »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: New avast! Free install does not allow access to internet
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »
what antivirus was on the computer before avast ?
is it removed completly, using a removal tool so all leftovers are gone ?
you can fiend it here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/    run it and reboot   (sorry posted wrong link first )

any firewall ?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:30:01 PM by Pondus »

patrick | kcirtap

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
Hello central_texan!

Sorry I was just irritated "Why should any Antivirus Software block internet access" was the question that came into my head!
What are you using is it "avast! Free Antivirus Software" or the trial of "avast! Internet Security" ?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

central_texan

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies! We actually downloaded the latest version of "avast! Free Antivirus 5.0" today. So, we have the latest version. That should not be the problem. One possible issue may be that we did not get Norton Antivirus completely removed. We are working towards that end and will post with any results we get.

central_texan

Re: New avast! Free install does not allow access to internet - SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
As expected, we found that there were still remnants of Norton Antivirus still on the computer and it was competing with avast! Free. We downloaded and ran the NAV Removal tool and all is working as advertised now. Thanks for all of the information!  central_texan