Author Topic: Spyware Blaster?  (Read 6390 times)

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Spyware Blaster?
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »
Would you recommend uninstalling version 4.2 & installing 4.3........any significant differences for IE8?

Thanks!

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re: Spyware Blaster?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
Yes you must uninstall the old version before you apply the new version.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
Spywareblaster 4.3 Changelog from: FileHippo.com
http://www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/changelog/

- SeaMonkey 2.x support
- Improved Firefox (and other Gecko-based browsers) support
- Improved high-DPI support
- Misc IE Settings enhancements for Windows Vista/7
- Fixed incorrect "not enough free space" message on large hard drives
- Numerous additional bug fixes, tweaks, and optimizations
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »

This doesn't seem to be the case as the installation doesn't mention you have an earlier version installed. I installed over the top and no issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:52 PM »

This doesn't seem to be the case as the installation doesn't mention you have an earlier version installed. I installed over the top and no issues.
+1

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »

Mmmm I didn't know you allow to installed over top of the old version, I thought it was safer to uninstall the old version without conflicting the IE8 browser Immunize problem.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:20 PM »
Well since spywareblaster is effectively passive/inert, the program doesn't do anything, it has already made any immunisation changes to IE/Firefox, etc.

If you uninstall spywareblaster you are likely to remove those immunisations in IE/Firefox, etc. at least that is what I would expect of an uninstall routine worth its salt. The reinstall would effectively have to restore all of those.

I don't want to remove those and have to have them recreated again. To that end I have always installed new versions of spywareblaster over the top of the existing installation and zero adverse effects in all of the time I have had it installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sg09

• Current Technology Discounts
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
I also believe that New version of spyware blaster can be installed over existing version.
Anyone who knows how to loose can certainly learn how to win.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »

Same Here.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:53 AM »

Thanks DavidR I did as you suggested & it went well. Btw when I opened the Avast interface I got a red warning about virus program which I manually updated...it asked for a reboot & now is 5.0.507

Regards!

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:57:59 AM »
You're welcome.

I don't know about it being a red warning, but a notification of a program update being available. This is how the program update works, unlike the auto update for virus signatures, the program update, which may take longer is set to Ask. So you get the notification like you got, letting you know one was available.

Jon_T

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:11:33 AM »

+1
-1  ;D

You can install over the top, but Javacool has always recommended doing a "Clean Install".  Personally I've always done the recommended "Clean Install"; its not that big of a deal to do with an app like SpywareBlaster.  ;)

From the Javacool Spyware Support Forum Board (see post #3):

Re: SpywareBlaster 4.3 released!

Upgrading Tips:

To upgrade SpywareBlaster from a previous version you can either:
(a) Uninstall the old version of SpywareBlaster first. Please see the detailed upgrade instructions here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbupdate.html
(b) Download and install the new version of SpywareBlaster "over-the-top".

Either method should work, but we recommend uninstalling the old version first for completeness.

From the Javacool Support:
How do I install or reinstall SpywareBlaster® ?

How do I do a clean install?