Author Topic: [SOLVED] Taskbar Freeze @ Startup (.507)  (Read 12355 times)

Kei

[SOLVED] Taskbar Freeze @ Startup (.507)
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
I saw this this morning. I'm not sure what is causing it...

BUT selecting "Load avast! services only after loading other system services" seems to have cleared up the problem (Settings--> Troubleshooting).  I'll keep looking to see what I see.

The taskbar freeze seems to have started after APC PowerChute & HP Digital Imaging Monitor (+ other HP Printer related programs) added themselves to system startup. Spybot's TeaTimer is there, but I had no problems when only it & AIS were set to load.

Edit: I encountered the error again a while ago while reformatting the desktop (to get to the source of these registry keys I don't like). Okay. The taskbar froze after a reboot of the system, where both AIS + Teatimer were updated in 1 session. The only things that were starting up at the time were something for Intel hotkey commands + an Intel graphics quick options program. A folder from the USB HDD I had attach would've opened had the taskbar not frozen. (I have the explorer windows set to open in a separate process & also to restore at startup.)

APC + the HP printer software weren't on the computer this time. As usual, the "Load avast! services only after loading other system services" options cleared up the freeze.

Edit 2: Well, I'll be.... The taskbar did, indeed freeze again! APC + the HP printer software are on the desktop now.... I just installed them in one session, APC 1st then HP. I am puzzled now because I already have the option enabled & STILL saw the freeze! I thought it was solved.... ~sigh~ I will disable HP Software Update & HP Component Manager from starting up & see... It did install some version of .NET Framework.... I had a folder from the USB HDD open again before the reboot.....

(I wonder if it's that setting of launching folder windows in a separate process that is causing the problem....)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:06:19 PM by Kei »

Kei

Re: Taskbar Freeze @ Startup (.507)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Avast doesn't seem to be the cause....  It appears the problem has something to do with Spybot. Having said that, it's not that the 2 programs conflict per se.... They get along quite nicely in the notification area..... xD

I have seen the taskbar freeze at the next reboot if TeaTimer is set to startup with the computer when you install AIS.  I have no idea what conflicts.

Other freezes: I've found that if I update Spybot (Immunize, for example, or update with the offline definitions file, etc), leave a windows explorer open (My Computer) & reboot, the taskbar will hang. (I have the Restore previous folder windows at logon & the Launch folder windows in a separate process options ticked.) I took off the separate process option & just left the restore folder windows option on, & the taskbar hung as well.

It's an interesting bug.... I know how to avoid the taskbar hang now.... I tested it way more than I care to elaborate.... It was tiring....  xD

Kei

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Okay.... Now, I'm really not sure what is going on because the taskbar froze again!

Now here's the rub: TeaTimer is NOT set to run at startup!  I think I had a folder window open again before I rebooted.... I'll probably try this again later with the desktop.... I'll just chalk this one up to being tired because I honestly don't remember what happened or what I was doing.... I installed Office 2003 + SP3... rebooted... hang.... I believe that's what I did....

~sigh~ I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the hang, so I can avoid it.... (I am actually hungry right now, but it's *too* early in the morning to eat food when I am about to go to bed....)  xD
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 02:30:14 PM by Kei »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »
there have been some reports earlier about avast and Spybot tea timer

but why use spybot when you have Malwarebytes and superantispyware, much better and they dont conflict

doktornotor

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »
Now here's the rub: TeaTimer is NOT set to run at startup!  I think I had a folder window open again before I rebooted.... I

Well, if you insist on using that app, reinstall w/o TeaTimer, and make sure it's been deleted as well on reinstall. Disabling is usually not enough for this junky thing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
Drop Spybot..!!! Problem solved. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Kei

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
there have been some reports earlier about avast and Spybot tea timer

but why use spybot when you have Malwarebytes and superantispyware, much better and they dont conflict

I actually found TeaTimer to be helpful with seeing what was going on with my system recently. I hadn't used it in years, but after a recent malware infection, I decided to go old school.... XD MBAM was great (& I do have the paid version), but I had to use A2 Free to get rid of the remnants of the malware.  Also, I put Spybot on the system because I was having a problem with strange registry keys appearing on the computer & wanted to see if it would help.

If you know of any programs that can help with identifying registry keys & all associated files, please share!!  (Please!)

Now here's the rub: TeaTimer is NOT set to run at startup!  I think I had a folder window open again before I rebooted.... I

Well, if you insist on using that app, reinstall w/o TeaTimer, and make sure it's been deleted as well on reinstall. Disabling is usually not enough for this junky thing.

Um... okay.... How do I do that?  (I will look it up also to see what I find.)

Drop Spybot..!!! Problem solved. ;)
asyn

Maybe so.... I guess I'll have to try that as a test (install everything else I use but Spybot, don't use Shellexview, install AIS, & see if the taskbar/explorer.exe still hangs...) Thanks for the idea.  :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:34:54 PM by Kei »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »
Maybe so.... I guess I'll have to try that as a test (install everything else I use but Spybot, don't use Shellexview, install AIS, & see if the taskbar/explorer.exe still hangs...) Thanks for the idea.  :)

No problem... Please post back your results here. :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Kei

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
Hello everyone! Asyn, I did that test on the 600M, everything else BUT Spybot.... & guess what (which I think you already knew):  NO SPYBOT = NO TASKBAR/EXPLORER.EXE HANG...  ~shrugs~ I'm not sure what it was..... but it's gone! :)

Ah... but I did like the detailed look at the startup entries that Spybot allowed me to see.... ~shrugs~ Oh well... I will look for another program that details the startup entries in a similar way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:38:20 PM by Kei »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
1. Hello everyone! Asyn, I did that test on the 600M, everything else BUT Spybot.... & guess what (which I think you already knew):  NO SPYBOT = NO TASKBAR/EXPLORER.EXE HANG...  ~shrugs~ I'm not sure what it was..... but it's gone! :)

2. Ah... but I did like the detailed look at the startup entries that Spybot allowed me to see.... ~shrugs~ Oh well... I will look for another program that details the startup entries in a similar way.

Hi Kei,
ad 1. Yes, i knew - or better i expected it... ;)
ad 2. Talking about the autostart entries? Use Ccleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
asyn

Kei

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 11:11:55 PM »
Heya Asyn!  ^^ Yes, I have used CCleaner, but it doesn't show the winlogon notifiers, as far as I saw. When I was trying to figure out whether a program & Spybot were conflicting, I was able to use Spybot to disable (uncheck) the SAS winlogon notifier to test.

I even found out that the ATI hotkey poller function for the 600M would startup, even though I had the service set to manual & the startup entry for the ATI control panel unchecked. (The ATI hotkey poller entry was in the winlogon notifiers section, which Spybot allowed me to uncheck.)

I found the section of the registry that deals with the winlogon notifiers, but I have to do more research about how to disable what I want safely. (I don't know if it's as easy as a 0 or 1....)  XD

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »
I found the section of the registry that deals with the winlogon notifiers, but I have to do more research about how to disable what I want safely. (I don't know if it's as easy as a 0 or 1....)  XD

So you need something special...?? ;)
There are some very powerful advanced tools, but you should be sure what you do before using these.
Damaging your system is not what you would want, i guess.
asyn

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »
Autoruns for Windows is definitely better than CCleaner when it comes to autostart entries management.  8)

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
WinPatrol is good for Auto start application information especially if you have the PLUS version.

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS
Detect and Review New Auto-Startup Programs
Add/Remove and Review Auto-Startup Programs
Automatically Disable Reoccuring Startup Programs
Delay Auto-Startup programs for quick bootup <== this is good for XP systems
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

I have not used Spybot S&D for years since using MBAM though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 04:44:02 PM by YoKenny »

Kei

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
Hi everyone! ~waves~ Thanks for all of your feedback! I will look into everything you've said!  :D  Thanks so much again!  :)