Author Topic: avast keeps shutting down!  (Read 5720 times)

jingles

avast keeps shutting down!
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to this so please be patient with me  :)

I have had Avast (free version) on my laptop for a few years and it asked me to renew as the year trial was nearly ending. I started the renewal however it kept on shutting down and asking to be fixed. I uninstalled it and reinstalled, But the Data Execution Protection was still closing it down. I tried to include the avastSVc.exe file in the exclusion list however it stated that i could not do that. In the end i decides to disable the DEP and hope that this would help.

Now i get a message after a while from Microsoft Windows stating that Avast Service has stopped working, with this information;

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   AvastSvc.exe
  Application Version:   5.0.507.0
  Application Timestamp:   4bc5ee16
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_cc4f
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   448d57d2
  OS Version:   6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.6
  Locale ID:   2057
  Additional Information 1:   cc4f
  Additional Information 2:   1486bf0658761d02365e10f5b342b752
  Additional Information 3:   7db0
  Additional Information 4:   2f56966d7b79b16e360a81bcc0e379c9

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

This also came up even if i had DEP enables, however the Problem Event Name was; BEX

I have Avast on my childrens laptops and they have re-registered fine, no problems at all.
My system is Vista business SP2, and i use modzilla firefox.

I hope someone can help as this is driving me mad LOL, i can click into Avast and it fixes but only for a while and there is no specific time or what i am viewing that these messages come up and Avast shuts down, i have run a scan with no issues.

Thanks in advance; Jingles  ;D

bobo1

Re: avast keeps shutting down!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:28 PM »
1. Did you have any antivirus on the computer before installing avast? & time and date correctly set on the computer?

2. Have you tried to go to CONTROL PANNEL & select Add remove programes and select Avast and try a REPAIR? and reboot?.

3. If that fails then you will need avast removal tool and re install Avast and then you will need a new key for Avast 5 for more updates for another 14 months through registration process within avast 5.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:26:27 PM by bobo1 »

jingles

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »
Hi, thanks for replying,

I have used the Avast free version for the last couple of years, so i have always been covered.
I will try what you have suggested and go from there.

Thanks again for your reply

Jingles

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »
Hello jingles,

when AvastSvc.exe crashes, it creates an error log. Would you mind looking for that file so we can fix that problem?

The path could be: c:\Users\......\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\...
log files have *.mdmp extensions and there should be a folder corresponding with time/date when you got the crash.

What have you found there?

Thanks.

jingles

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:14 AM »
Hi,

I have tried what bobo1 stated however this has not owrked as it is still stopping.

i have tried to find the file you have indicated, however i acn not find anythink like this. I'm not an advanced user so you may need to instruct me a little further  :)

Thanks for any help

Jingles

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »
Have you tried malwarebytes antispyware free to scan and check for spyware. Good one to try to see if any malware is on your computer?

jingles

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
Thanks bobo1 the software found 2 files that needed deleting......................and so far avast is staying on and things on my laptop seem to b working better!

Thanks again

Jingles