Author Topic: Unknown problems  (Read 3655 times)

dark-wisper

Unknown problems
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:28:20 AM »
My computer started having some problems a month ago.
It started freezing and no response what so ever.
The keyboard lights were not responding at all, nothing! Not even sound.. Just frozen and frozen good!
If i rebooted the computer sometimes it worked, sometimes it freezes again!
If i rebooted the computer again, windows won't start!
The blue screen appears again and it just restarts by himself.
How i made the windows start up again?
I unscrew the main hard drive and put it into my other computer and let the other windows scan for errors.
And it worked!
Now... how do i get rid of this problem? It bothers me! And i can't play games, run programs, etc..
Second of all, when i write/play a CD/DVD while listening some music my sound is all messed up.. The music is distorted in such manner that it's.... You get the point!
How in the hell do i get all this messed up?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JohnSAvast

Re: Unknown problems
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:27:23 PM »
There could be many issues, the worst of which would be hardware failures which are near-impossible for you and I to figure out.  I'm no expert but the first thing I do in these circumstances is to look at the CPU heatsink/fan to see if they are bunged up with dust/not running.  The CPU gets up to running temperature very quickly.  If it overtemps it will shut down and may restart when it cools off (although it's usually necessary to recycle main power to reset the lock out).

dark-wisper

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:03 PM »
That is out of the possible problems!
I checked that first..
Hardware failure is a possibility....
One of my hard drives may or may not have bad sectors...
I will post quickly a diagnostic!
My next post...

dark-wisper

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »
Here are the health results!

JohnSAvast

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
If you can get your PC running long enough, check temperatures and voltages for the CPU and Motherboard.  The motherboard should have a utility for those.  "Speedfan" is an alternative although it can be difficult to tell which temp is which.  The voltages are quite clear.  Chart the values to see if there are any sudden changes (accompanied no doubt by BSOD!).  As noted previously, voltage or temp failures usually require cycling power to reset so you would probably have found that already.  I would still check them.
Check for loose connections and run any hardware diagnostics you have (such as memory), if you can
Try and start in Safe Mode and see how it runs.  Try running with activity and without.
Check for malware, which I'm sure you have done
Think back to a month ago and any major changes you made at the time

Given that the PC only runs part of the time it will be very difficult to find the problem.  There are a number of websites that deal with your sort of problem.  Google "motherboard problems and solutions"

dark-wisper

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 02:35:19 AM »
I'm afraid that my pc runs  NON-Stop 24/7 !
Speedfan showed me a alarming temp. witch is temp3 was around 60 degrees Celsius.
How will i "chart" my temps/voltages?

Btw i changed my cooler so i exclude the possibility of a faulty fan..
How about 2000 rpm? I have a monster cooler at 2500 rpm but it's like in a factory... too loud!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:41:47 AM by dark-wisper »

JohnSAvast

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
I said that the temperatures are difficult to interpret because they are not labelled in Speedfan (so it is better to use the motherboard utility if there is one - try the manufacturer's site).  On my PC, Temp 1 is the motherboard, temp 4 is the CPU.  That may not apply to yours.  To chart the figures, click the "Charts" tab and it will graph the selected temps or voltages over time.  You may also be able to check the CPU temperature in the BIOS - let the PC run for a while in the BIOS to reach full temperature.

If the temps and voltages are OK you should look elsewhere for the problem and ignore what I am about to say.  Putting on a new cooler does not necessarily help if it was done incorrectly.  I recently had my CPU fail on over-temp.  The heat transfer paste had dried out over time, but that was not the real issue.  The heat sink mounted by the local computer store was incorrect and did not cover all the CPU.  While the paste still worked, the CPU ran hot but did not crash.  As the paste dried out, the uncooled part of the CPU caused a failure.  The correct size cooler (not a monster) reduced CPU temp by 18degC.

Nobody else has offered advice, and it is a bit OT for the Avast forum.  I'm not qualified to help much further.  Perhaps you should look to forums that are more interested in hardware(?) problems.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »
@ dark-wisper

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your yahoo.com email address.

dark-wisper

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
Done...
Not the temp thingy..
The temps are 40-42 Celsius.
Voltages... i have no idea!

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
Windows XP sp2 is quite down level as SP3 has been available for almost 2 years and has many Critical Upadates and performance enhacements.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least  Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.

Go to Secunia Online Software Inspector then run it to see what other applications are vulnerable:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online