Author Topic: Avast! 5 Free - Full System Scan  (Read 10670 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Avast! 5 Free - Full System Scan
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
OK, my custom scan finished and needed over 4 hours to scan 300 GB data. Not that's more real I think (compared to my first post). So I will be using this custom scan from time to time and depend on the resident protection and other layers of protection. The other important thing to me is the Windows Explorer context menu scan, I hope I set it right, I use that one a lot. About persistent cache: the 4.8 version didn't use that function, as far as I know, and it was alright. I don't mind a slower scan if it's more thorough - so I guess won't use persistent cache. Thank you all.

And I have to say that Avast! 5 is great! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 5 Free - Full System Scan
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
That's correct 4.8 had no persistent caching function so it 'couldn't use it,' but that doesn't mean it was all right.

The whole point of the persistent cache has nothing to do with the thoroughness of any scan, but to avoid the pointless scanning of files that haven't changed since your last scan. Only certain files are considered for inclusion in the persistent cache, those MS files with digital signatures and other whitlisted files from other applications, etc. After the first time they have been scanned they would be included in the cache if you enabled that function.

This is all to do with the constant screaming out by users for faster scanning speed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security