Author Topic: IE8 not running 'virtualized' - 5.0.507  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
IE8 not running 'virtualized' - 5.0.507
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:11:21 AM »
Hi All
Have updated 4 XP Pro SP3 machines to AIS or AP 5.0.507.
Now IE8 doesn't work when virtualized on all 4  - but in different ways. ???

On my home PC with all versions up until 5.0.507, nothing would run 'virtualized' due to conflict with other drivers. This has now been fixed (thanks to PK) but with IE8, the UI opens, 'connecting...' appears in the Tab label but nothing else happens. Interestingly, 2 processes appear in the list of virtualized programs in the AIS UI.

On 2 of the others, again the UI opens with 'connecting...' in the Tab, but after a few seconds, IE crashes and the UI disappears.

On the 4th, again the UI opens with 'connecting...' in the Tab, but on this one the IE8 window persists and cannot be closed or killed with TM.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: IE8 not running 'virtualized' - 5.0.507
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:21 AM »
Hello,
didn't know you use 4 computers (all OSes are XP, right?)... when I got a kernel dump from one of your computer, I assume the situation was the same on all PCs (that virtualization module conflicts with Mozy and it didn't work on all 4 computers), is that correct? Maybe there's still a problem with that app, would you mind generating the manual full dump from the 1st and 4th system? (i.e. 2 processes appear in the list (1st) + IE cannot by closed (4th)).

Thanks a lot! Petr

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:06 AM »
Hello,
didn't know you use 4 computers (all OSes are XP, right?)... when I got a kernel dump from one of your computer, I assume the situation was the same on all PCs (that virtualization module conflicts with Mozy and it didn't work on all 4 computers), is that correct? Maybe there's still a problem with that app, would you mind generating the manual full dump from the 1st and 4th system? (i.e. 2 processes appear in the list (1st) + IE cannot by closed (4th)).

Thanks a lot! Petr

Hi Petr

Yep. All OSs are XP Pro SP3
I only have Mozy on the 1st PC (the one the dump is from). The other 3 are in commercial use and have run virtualized programs okay, including IE8, with previous avast! 5 versions, though with varying levels of stability.
I'll see what I can do about a dump from No.4 (IE cannot by closed).

cheers

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »
Hi Petr
Keeping you up-to-date.  :)
Uploaded dump 'IE8UNKILL.ZIP' from 4th PC yesterday (as advised by email).
Uploaded 'IE8VANISH.ZIP' from one of the others "the UI opens with 'connecting...' in the Tab, but after a few seconds, IE crashes and the UI disappears." today.

New Observation.
After running IE8 virtualized on 1st PC, Network Lock is ON. I've generated a dump 'Vladimyr2.rar' but may not have time to send it until tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:42:24 PM by Vladimyr »

Yandros

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
I've already posted in the other sandbox thread, but I think this one is closer to my problem.  I'm also seeing "connecting..." and then a blank (white or black) browser window in sandboxed 32 bit IE8, Windows 7 64bit, avast pro 507. It seems to be opening a second tab that kicks it off for me, and last night it happened several times in a row.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:55 PM »
yep, from all apps running sandboxed, you get the worse results with IE for some reason. The behavior changes all the time here...launches instantly, or takes ages to launch but finally opens properly, or doesn't launch at all etc...