Author Topic: Important message for Vlk, Igor and the Avast team!  (Read 16719 times)

Avastfan1

Re: Important message for Vlk, Igor and the Avast team!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »
I use PCTools Firewall and it has run extremely smoothly. The only two issues I have are:

- An annoying 'new network' box which appears each time the computer is started

- For ONE of the many WLAN connections I use, PCTools Firewall won't let me on it

JoeBlack40

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
From my limited experience,PC Tools HIPS are not so effective.I just don't feel secure with it,just a matter of taste i suppose. :)

Avastfan1

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
That is true JoeBlack40. I ran with ZoneAlarm Pro for a long time. It served me well until they released one version which majorly fücked up a lot of their users' computers.

After that, it was all downhill for ZA Pro. Their software, in my opinion, unfortunately became slower, more resource intensive and, most importantly, the user support forum and customer support died.

That is why I changed firewalls.

I trialled PCTools Plus Firewall after reading the posts of the experts on this form and asking for their advice.

I read many negative comments about Comodo, Outpost and Online Armour. Admittedly, some negative commentary about PCTools Plus Firewall, too. However, I had to choose one. PCTools Firewall Plus was my choice.

I will wait and see how it develops. The two problems I described above are annoying, yet not ground-breaking.

Will wait and see! :-)

JoeBlack40

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
That's right,Avastfan1,the pc's are pretty much like people...if something is good for me,doesn't means that is good for everybody.With the softwares as i said,pretty much the same thing.Mysterious ways for AI's too  :)

Avastfan1

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
Sorry JoeBlack40 - I'm not familiar with AI. Do you mean artificial intelligence?

JoeBlack40

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
Sorry JoeBlack40 - I'm not familiar with AI. Do you mean artificial intelligence?
Yes Avastfan1  :)
Btw,what does the Alwil team said?Not a confirmation yet about the malware?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:17:05 AM by JoeBlack40 »

Avastfan1

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
Hi JoeBlack40,

I have not heard anything about the malware yet. An official comment from Avast would be really great.

I would like to see this piece of malware analysed and specifically classified so that other Avast users are protected against the same fate my friend suffered.

Let's hope we hear something soon!

Best wishes,

Avastfan1

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi Alwil Avast Team,

Could somebody please confirm receipt of the file I sent wyskq6lt.333.exe?
No, I didn't find it.

Were you able to analyse, classify and create a specific identification signature for this nasty piece of work?
Yes, but why?

Milos

Avastfan1

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 12:20:06 AM »
Hi Milos,

Thanks for your reply. That is strange, because I sent it like three times to Avast from the chest! :S

You wrote 'Yes' that you were able to specifically classify it. Does that mean it is now not just identified as WIN32-Malware-GEN?

Could you kindly tell me the name of the virus? I would love to pass it on to my friend so he could read about what totally destroyed his computer.

Thanks!

Avastfan1

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »
if it was detected WIN32-Malware-GEN why you want a specific name for the virus? It was detected by Avast already
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
Hello,
You wrote 'Yes' that you were able to specifically classify it. Does that mean it is now not just identified as WIN32-Malware-GEN?

Maybe there was misunderstanding: We are able to specifically classify it, but there is no reason to do that.

Milos

Avastfan1

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »
Thank you both for the information.

Is there a specific name for this virus or malware then Milos?

Where could my friend read more information about it? Is there a link on Avast's website?

Thanks,

Avastfan1