Author Topic: Still hesitating on 5. Sensible?  (Read 11930 times)

Jima

Still hesitating on 5. Sensible?
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »
I am very satisfied with my current (old) version of avast! 
With the daily list of snafus and travails, I am still a little hesitant to take the chance on changing to 5.0.
Maybe this post will generate the confidence I need.
Thanks.

ArtemisF0wl

Re: Still hesitating on 5. Sensible?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:31:58 PM »
The thing is, sooner or later you'll have to switch (or switch AV's)... You might as well go ahead and dive in feet first. By and large, most users don't have any problems with the new version. I think maybe you are intimidated by some of the negative threads on this forum, but remember that most people will not stop by to say "things are running great". ;D 
Bottom line: Switch to V5 ;)

Saty

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:48 PM »
hello Jima,

In full agreement with what Artemis said.

Your gonna have to switch sooner or later ;D

and if by chance something does go agoof, these boards will help sort it out.

I was like you, and was hestitant on making the switch, because of what was being said here, two weeks ago i upgraded from 4.8 free to 5.0 free, on two different vista laptops, with no problems!

5.0 is awesome, much diffferent that 4.8.

I think you'd be glad you made the switch and will be wishing you did it sooner

Saty

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
I am very satisfied with my current (old) version of avast! 
With the daily list of snafus and travails, I am still a little hesitant to take the chance on changing to 5.0.
Maybe this post will generate the confidence I need.
Thanks.

Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a 'support forum' so all you are likely to see are "snafus and travails" as you say, not the huge majority of users that don't have a problem.

You can't go on in life thinking the worst might happen, like stepping out of the front door and getting run over by a truck just because you heard about it in the papers, or you aren't going to go out.

Should you be in the very small minority that experience a problem, then you already know where to come.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jon_T

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
... I am still a little hesitant to take the chance on changing to 5.0. ...
In addition to the above posts, take in consideration number of post here by users having issues to the number of avast! users (100 million -- quite a small percentage.  Could you imagine what the board would be like if all the users not having issues posted?  ;D

FWIW have avast! 5 on three Win XP systems, and have not had any issues.

You did not note which avast! you're using, Home or Pro.  Even if using Home 4.8, check the upgrade options and see discounted price for Pro, and AIS which is good for 3 PCs.

I had 4.8 Pro on one system, and Home on the other two systems.  Used the Home upgrade to get AIS for three years for $84.97.  You can do a custom install of AIS if you do not want to install the Spam Filter and/or Firewall.

Good Luck!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »
Jima, go for version 5... better protection, interface, scanning speed, etc.
Besides, version 4 won't be supported for that much time (maybe by the end of 2010).
The best things in life are free.

balane78

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »
and get stuck in nightmare... ::)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »

For the greatest majority there is no problem so it is a dream rather than a nightmare and you can't base your decisions on a minority with a problem.

If they experience a problem they can easily get back to 4.8 as you apparently have, but to never try is crazy.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tom-m

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
I had been using Avira 9 on a vista laptop and XP Pro desktop then switched to Avast 5 when Avira 10 popped up and it runs superbly, can't speak for 4.8 mind, but regarding Avast 5 can't praise it highly enough really...just my two pennies worth  :)

balane78

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
If they experience a problem they can easily get back to 4.8 as you apparently have, but to never try is crazy.

This is an old engineer proverb : If something works why should you change it ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »
Following the same proverb you would be driving round in a model T Ford or the first French production car or perhaps still riding a horse.

Hell you wouldn't even be using the internet as you wouldn't have a telephone as there is nothing wrong with writing a letter. In which case you wouldn't require an anti-virus.

Its called progress and it has to start somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:26:20 PM by DavidR »

tom-m

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
Following the same proverb you would be driving round in a model T Ford or the first French production car or perhaps still riding a horse.

Hell you wouldn't even be using the internet as you wouldn't have a telephone as there is nothing wrong with writing a letter. In which case you wouldn't require an anti-virus.

Its called progress and it has to start somewhere.

Now that did make me laugh, so true... then I thought about Avira 10...and felt slightly confused.

doktornotor

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:28 AM »
I thought I might jump in... I recall uninstalling Avast about a year ago from a friend's computer due to the slowdown and resource hogging it's been causing. Well, what a change w/ v5.0. Simply amazing. Well, Avira's gone from there and Avast is back. Also the GUI finally is nice and easy to navigate and configure. Great job, guys.  :)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 08:34:38 AM »

That is not true! "Switch to V5, and ride in to the future with this great software" :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

norel

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
It might be sensible to be hesitant if you have a realistic reason to think you might have a problem. If that's the case it might be a good idea to look at that and try to resolve it first. But if you're worried simply because some other people have had problems that's a little irrational.

There will always be a risk factor regardless how small. With the current build the risk has dropped tremendously since it first came out. If your system and configuration are fairly typical you shouldn't have any problems. :)