Author Topic: Still hesitating on 5. Sensible?  (Read 11927 times)

Jima

Re: Still hesitating on 5. Sensible?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »
Thanks for all your answers and input.
I decided to go for it and opened the avast! webpage only to find the download is 40 MB!
That size download could take 5 or 6 hours or even more on my dialup, leaving many chances for interuption or other failure, let alone not having telephone service for that period.
Two questions:  Was the one I got 5 years ago that big?
I got Windows upgrades (about the same size) on a disc.  Is avast! 5 available to purchase that way?
Thanks again from this Luddite fuddy-duddy.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 07:54:23 PM »
I'm on dial-up and it took around two and a half hours for 40 MB (aprox 4 minutes a MB), so there is something seriously wrong with your dial-up connection.

The program has grown over the last 6 years that I have had it but I think it was about 30MB then, one of the things you have to consider is that a lot has been added in the interim years not to mention the virus database continues to grow at a pace. If you download that on its own it is around 29MB. So the program itself is relatively well compressed.

Can you not get a friend with broadband or use a local library, etc. to download this and save to CD or USB and transfer to your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jima

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
Thanks, DavidR
I just now began a download.  My connection speed was around 25 kpbs, but occasionally dropped, with estimated time of download varying between 6 and 13 hours.
I just can't do that. 
So if avast! does not offer a version on a hard disc, I'll try the second hand idea or just forget it.

balane78

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
Its called progress and it has to start somewhere.

To my understanding, Avast 5.0 is not providing better antivirus protection than Avast 4.8 but there is a "beautiful" new interface and clear flaw in update system which render it unoperant for some users.

When in such situation, the user having changed from 4.8 to 5.0 may have a lower protection level than previousy.

Maybe you should explain me where is the progress ? ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
Sorry but your understanding is incorrect.

avast 5.0 has signatures and processes that aren't in 4.8 as they wouldn't work on older OSes which 4.8 still supports, e.g. win9.x, winME.

I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, that has to be your choice, there is more than enough in this topic alone to make your mind up, 5.0.507 has had further enhancements to the installation process especially in relation to installation over 4.8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balane78

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »
I'm not going to try and convince you of anything, that has to be your choice, there is more than enough in this topic alone to make your mind up, 5.0.507 has had further enhancements to the installation process especially in relation to installation over 4.8.

There is a basic problem with people like you is that you trust so much in your "cause" that you assume every other person of a different opinion is a moron.

The issue IS NOT about installing over previous version. There are plenty of software that request un-install prior to installation of new version. Let forget about poor quality of such setup, this is not optimal but acceptable.

From what I lived and what I red from other persons on this forum, the real issue is that any manual and erratic change in system date for any reason damage completely the update process of version 5 in such a way that there is absolutely no way to make it works again.

Most probably, Avast is hiding an information in a very unusual place for safety reason and this information is kept again and again even after having use every possible trick or removal tool.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:42:32 PM by balane78 »

Jima

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
I believe that any member here can start a new topic without taking over an existing one.
The argument going on here does not help answer my concerns.
Having decided to advance to 5.0, I discovered that the download time, for whatever reason, is simply not feasible for me.
So again my three choices seem to be
1. Have someone download it for me, burn a CD and hope it works.
2. Buy a CD from avast!.  I'd be happy to do so.
3. Forget 5.0
Any other possibilities?

Saty

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
hi Jima,

it looks like your in a bit of pickle...

I didnt see where if you said you have 4.8 free or paid, not that it really matters, except if your looking for free products they are usually only had by download. And im not sure what size other AV's are compared to Avast, so you might be in the same predictement.

I think Avast is download only, I dont believe its available to buy on cd, but I could be wrong.

Id say  if you want to stay with avast, the only option is as DavidR suggested, having a friend download it to a cd or flashdrive etc, and transfering it over, or doing it yourself at a public library or such, and transfering it over.

people here can give advice on the transfer directions or troubleshooting problems if any are had.

I hope this helps

Saty

NomDeKeyz

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 12:57:09 AM »
Hello Jima!
I am one of those folks experiencing update issues. I also was hesitant to switching to v5. I hope that an uninstall/reinstall will fix
my issue. If not I will try a reformat. If that still doesn't work, I will go back to v4.8 for a while. I have not lost my faith in avast!,
nor have I lost my faith in v5. I think that trying v5 is still worth it. I was surprisingly content with the changes made in v5, even
tho I actually prefer the look & sound of the old interface. The new interface is well thought out, even for a computer-clod, like
me. I especially like the paid for package that comes with its own firewall & other protections, thus eliminating software conflicts.
Seriously, if you can DL it with a friend/public-use computer & transfer it by disk/flash, give it a try. Chances are, it'll work for you.

On another note, I miss hearing the Hawking-like voice following successful updates. I wouldn't mind reverting to 4.8 for that alone,
LOL. Too bad there isn't an option to insert that sound file into v5. Or is there? Best wishes in updating! Back things up just in case.
(After my last Trojan, followed by a reformat/install of everything, I have been backing things up often & with every system change.)

snarky

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 01:03:25 AM »
I'm not going to read the whole thread.  Sorry, but I think the original question is silly.  Do you really need advice on this?  Backup your system with any of the myriad imaging utilities available, then try v5 without concern, knowing you can totally revert if you need to.  (Just avoid making other changes to your system that you won't want to have to redo in the meantime.)

I hated version 4.8.  It worked poorly on my system.  I find that v5 works well, and I've switched from another vendor's product as a result.

Jima

Re: Still hesitating on 5. Sensible? UPDATE
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 09:20:21 PM »
My daughter-in-law downloaded 5.0.507 for me and put it on a CD. It took her about three and a half minutes (see above for the 6 to 13 hour estimate I had for my dial-up).
The installation seems to have gone well and quickly, but the new rollerskates are going to take a while to get used to. 
I was going to say that things seemed a little slow, but then the sultry voice of avast! (a new thing for me) informed me that things had just been updated, so that may have been taking up speed.
So thanks for the help.  Rest assured I'll be back at the first sign of trouble. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »
Glad that you have managed to get avast 5 without having 6 hours on dial-up.

I'm sure you will quickly get used to the new roller skates, without too many blisters ;D

Cassy

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
Any other possibilities?
Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on how ALWIL has set up their servers.

Try a freeware download manager which has both multithreading and resume-partial-downloads.  I am pleased with http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ and DLExpert, though I think that the latter is now shareware.

By the way, just in case any third party here wants to send you a CD, in what country do you live?

Another idea:  What zip/unzip software or other archiving software do you use?

Good luck.
C.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:40:11 PM by Cassy »