Author Topic: [RESOLVED] SSL / TLS> Windows Live Mail (I'm going crazy)  (Read 32101 times)

dejavu

[RESOLVED] SSL / TLS> Windows Live Mail (I'm going crazy)
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »
Hello everyone

First, I apologize for my bad English. I am looking for days and days on the forums Avast! and on Google because I can not configure Windows Live Mail and Avast! 5 Internet Security. I tried all the configurations, I have disabled the checkbox "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" ... I should mention that I also uninstalled, cleaned the files and reinstalled Windows Live Mail. I also changed the parameters of "sensitivity" (minimum to maximum) in Avast! ... Finally, full of tests without success ... Note: if I tick the boxes "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" it works again but obviously no email is scanned by Avast! I attached 3 screenshots to show you my settings :

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:16:29 PM by dejavu »

cadremis

Re: SSL / TLS> Windows Live Mail (I'm going crazy)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:22:29 AM »
Take a look at mine, gmail is working fine with a Pop3 account.

dejavu

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:18 AM »
Take a look at mine, gmail is working fine with a Pop3 account.

Thank you for the screenshots. I said exactly the same settings as yours but I still have the same error message from Windows Live Mail. If I change SSL to TLS in Avast! this does not work but I see that Windows Live Mail looks longer. I can therefore see that to change a setting in Avast! is "real."

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »
Please post the log file C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Mail.log (only the last POP session).

dejavu

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »
Please post the log file C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Mail.log (only the last POP session).

I reinstalled Avast! Internet Security 5. Then I replaced all the boards settings as I described above. The error was repeated ... I send you the log you ask me.

Accuracy: I also tried another PC in 1 and the problem is identical.

Thank you and good day

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
I'm Sorry I forgot to mention that you should enable the debug logging in Settings/Maintenance. Please post the log again after testing with debug enabled.

dejavu

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
I'm Sorry I forgot to mention that you should enable the debug logging in Settings/Maintenance. Please post the log again after testing with debug enabled.

No problem. I activated. Here's the new log file with debugging enabled reports

Thanks

SauDepp

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:43:48 PM »
...looks similar to my problem with Hotmail....

MS email seems to be a provider whore :D - every few days it works as supposed to do,
but mostly I got some annoying timeout (10060) error......

Over that they seem to have multiple servers which are added - thanx to Avast! - automatically !

Five other email providers (incl. gmail) work flawlessly.....

Greets
S@uDepp

UPDATE:
Recieving emails seem to work THIS day....lets have a look for how long ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:23:28 PM by SauDepp »

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
Well, I'd kinda agree w/ the previous post. Some of their servers are plain broken, end of story.

dejavu

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
I do not think the problem comes from Hotmail or Gmail servers ...

When I tested the beta version of Avast! 5 I did not have this problem: it was enough to do exactly as I explained in the Help unchecking the appropriate box (SSL client mail) and emails received / sent were well controlled by the shield mail Avast! 5

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
dejavu, Do you use the avast firewall ? Did you try stopping it, if it helps ?
Or other programs that could block connections (maybe incompletely uninstalled) ?

dejavu

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
dejavu, Do you use the avast firewall ? Did you try stopping it, if it helps ?
Or other programs that could block connections (maybe incompletely uninstalled) ?

I use the default configuration of Avast! Internet Security. I tried a lot of changes: Disabling the firewall as well as that of Win7 and Avast! but it changes nothing. I tested the PC my wife and she has the same problem.

I do not really see what it can come ... And as I said yesterday this feature worked with the beta.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:45:19 PM by dejavu »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
  • In Live Mail, set 995 and SSL for pop3, 587 and TLS for smtp.
  • Close Live Mail.
  • Delete all account settings in Avast | MailShield | Expert Settings | SSL accounts.
  • Reboot and run Live Mail.
  • Avast should warn you about unscannable SSL-Mail connections.
  • In Live Mail, set no SSL and no TLS, standard ports.

Does it work then?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

dejavu

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »
  • In Live Mail, set 995 and SSL for pop3, 587 and TLS for smtp.
  • Close Live Mail.
  • Delete all account settings in Avast | MailShield | Expert Settings | SSL accounts.
  • Reboot and run Live Mail.
  • Avast should warn you about unscannable SSL-Mail connections.
  • In Live Mail, set no SSL and no TLS, standard ports.

Does it work then?

thank you Zyndstoff, I tried these settings but it does not work. I uninstalled Windows Live Mail (and any related applications), cleaned the registry manually, I deleted the folders / files related to WLM, removed settings SSL / TLS in Avast!, Disabled the firewall of Win7 and Avast! ... After resettlement the error message returned in WLM.

Yet I used to configure the PC (it's part of my job) but I admit that there is an enigma.

EDIT : I can give you some details.

Still, I tried again to follow all the steps proposed by Zyndstoff and here the results:

- With a Gmail.com account I can not send email with port 587 (error sending)

- Even if I change the settings in WLM, I delete settings for SSL / TLS Avast when I restart my computer, then restart WLM: windows alerts Avast! not return.

- When I change the SSL port 995 TLS error does not appear immediately (contrary to the port 995 over SSL) in WML> WLM remains on "Checking for mail for at least 30 seconds to 1 minute and then he displays the error as in the screenshot of my first post.

- If I indicate the port 25 and the box checked for SSL in WLM I can send mail through WLM> Avast! recognizes this port and indicates gmail.com> 25> TLS. Now, if I untick the box SSL in WLM (I keep port 25) then I can not send email and the error message comes from WLM.

- I can send email via port 465/SSL WLM. If I untick the box SSL in WLM I can not send email because the error message reappears.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 02:27:22 PM by dejavu »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
What is the version of Avast you are using? 5.0.507...?
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear