Author Topic: A couple of issues with Avast 5  (Read 2624 times)

kickboxer

A couple of issues with Avast 5
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:29:27 PM »
Hello,

I decided to give the new Avast 5 version a try. Its been a couple of years now since I last used Avast anti-virus. The new version looks really nice. However I do have a couple of issues with it. I have changed the Update Settings to Manual for the Engine and Virus Definitions and Program. (I prefer to update all my programs manually)

In my firewall logs I noticed Avast is still trying to constantly send out ICMP type 8 (Echo Requests). I also noticed when I open the Avast interface it tries to connect out to Avast.com (ip address: 74.55.78.82 , remote port: 80). This should not be happening.

Also if the update settings for the Engine and Virus Definitions is set to Manual I noticed that Avast's system tray icon shows a yellow triangle with an explanation point warning that there is a problem. Is there a setting to turn this off? I don't like seeing this on Avast's system tray icon. I have also turned off the Web Shield which I noticed displays this yellow warning sign also on the system tray icon. I don't mind seeing a warning in the interface, but on the system tray icon it is a bit distracting.

Thanks

Hermite15

Re: A couple of issues with Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
once for all ;D >>> in the "free" version, AvastUI connections are there for the "ad" (dynamic content about the promotion of AIS or else...time will tell) ... these connections don't serve the update processes.
                    >>> in AIS, AvastUI connections are obviously not there to promote AIS ;D instead they're used for the network utilities, IP geolocation and trace route process.

ps: for the exclamation point on the tray icon, go to main avast settings and un-tick what you want in the "status bar" section.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:42:45 PM by Logos »

kickboxer

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
once for all ;D >>> in the "free" version, AvastUI connections are there for the "ad" (dynamic content about the promotion of AIS or else...time will tell) ... these connections don't serve the update processes.
                    >>> in AIS, AvastUI connections are obviously not there to promote AIS ;D instead they're used for the network utilities, IP geolocation and trace route process.

Logo, Thank you for explaing that to me. But what about the ICMP type 8 (Echo Requests) directed to Avast download servers? This shouldn't be happening if the settings for updates is set to manual.

ps: for the exclamation point on the tray icon, go to main avast settings and un-tick what you want in the "status bar" section.

Thanks, That worked! :)

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
I don't see these ICMP connections...but I'm back on AIS firewall, and the log doesn't work well. I tried to check with what Windows offers, resource monitor or netstat and I only see TCP/UDP connections...