Author Topic: Scanning last downloaded file  (Read 24346 times)

dealdieboy

Re: Scanning last downloaded file
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
Thank everyone for your contributions. Conclusion is: no manual scanning, or remark in the downloadmanager  because the webshields do this control!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:35:48 PM by dealdieboy »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 11:17:49 PM »
Thank everyone for your contributions. Conclusion is: no manual scanning, or remark in the downloadmanager  because the webshields do this control!
Actually, you should add ashquick.exe to LeechGet. Web Shield only scans traffic on port 80 which is not a port that LeechGet uses. But unlike Avast 4, you will not see a pop up every time Avast scans a download. Instead you will only see a pop up when Avast finds malware in a downloaded file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 11:36:58 PM »
If the web shield doesn't scan it because it isn't using port 80 you also have the fall back of the file system shield scanning newly created/modified files (depending on file type, primarily those that present an immediate risk, e.g. executables, .exe, etc.).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dealdieboy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »
Ok: I've added this in Leechget: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe

doktornotor

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
Actually, you should add ashquick.exe to LeechGet. Web Shield only scans traffic on port 80 which is not a port that LeechGet uses.

Errr... so, what port it uses? It downloads something from a webserver via a port on which the webserver is not running at all? Miracle? I guess you are kinda confused here.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
Ok: I've added this in Leechget: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\ashQuick.exe
:)

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
Actually, you should add ashquick.exe to LeechGet. Web Shield only scans traffic on port 80 which is not a port that LeechGet uses.

Errr... so, what port it uses? It downloads something from a webserver via a port on which the webserver is not running at all? Miracle? I guess you are kinda confused here.

No confusion here. DMs use various ports, often in the 3-4 thousand range. But NONE of them use port 80. I suspect you are confusing user ports vs. server ports.

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »
No confusion here. DMs use various ports, often in the 3-4 thousand range. But NONE of them use port 80. I suspect you are confusing user ports vs. server ports.

Eh... No, I don't confuse anything. Go download something like CurrPorts and look at what your browser does. I guess you won't claim that the HTTP traffic there isn't checked either.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:31 AM »

Eh... No, I don't confuse anything. Go download something like CurrPorts and look at what your browser does. I guess you won't claim that the HTTP traffic there isn't checked either.
We're not talking about browsers here, we are talking about download managers, like Leechget, etcetera.

Hermite15

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
see screen shot >>>>  :) (downloading Ubuntu)

This said the download's an iso and it won't be scanned by the web shield (fortunately). Also, although that's port 80 the web shield wouldn't scan a download done through an external downloader ;) >>> so ashquick could be needed, if the FileShield wasn't there :D (ISO excluded as well btw, and no need to go nuts scanning it through ashquick)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:23:52 AM by Logos »

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »
We're not talking about browsers here, we are talking about download managers, like Leechget, etcetera.

I know what we are talking about. Your so called download manager is not anything else but a specialized kind of browser intended for convenient downloading (as long as you are downloading from web and not via FTP, BT or something else). See screenshot attached. So yes, it is scanned by the webshield and no, manual scanning is not needed since you don't need to scan the same thing 3 times.

Hermite15

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:42 AM »
what you see is not the actual download being scanned by the web shield, it's the caching of it in Firefox. Keep your download link in your download manager. Download again later directly from the DM when the browser is closed, it won't be scanned.
 The webshield might scan on port 80, it only works with browsers (what's commonly called browsers) and not with download managers. Doesn't matter whether DMs are browsers or not, only a few "browsers" are compatible with Avast webshield.

doktornotor

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
what you see is not the actual download being scanned by the web shield, it's the caching of it in Firefox. Keep your download link in your download manager. Download again later directly from the DM when the browser is closed, it won't be scanned.

Well, that'd be a no. I don't use FF and as a matter of fact, I didn't use any "browser" to leech it, I simply added the download link to FDM manually. As clearly shown on the screenshot, yes, it is scanned by the webshield.

Hermite15

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
well nothing downloaded directly from FDM has ever been scanned by the webshield on my system :D you must have a special version ;D

edit: I tried once earlier today, and another time just now, not scanned :)

(your screenshot doesn't prove anything)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:47:17 AM by Logos »

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
well nothing downloaded directly from FDM has ever been scanned by the webshield on my system :D you must have a special version ;D

edit: I tried once earlier today, and another time just now, not scanned :)

(your screenshot doesn't prove anything)
Nor on my system. I'm running a download now - two outbound TCP connections on ports 4471 and 4472. Nothing being scanned by Avast. I added ports 4471 and 4472 to the Redirect Settings. Nope, no scan.